US marine charged with killing Filipino transgender woman

Prosecutors in the Philippines have filed murder charges against Joseph Scott Pemberton. The marine stands accused of killing Jennifer Laude in October.

Prosecutors found probable cause against Pte First Class Joseph Scott Pemberton and decided that he used “treachery, abuse of superior authority and cruelty” against his alleged victim, lead prosecutor Emilie Fe delos Santos told a televised briefing.

“You can see the kind of cruelty she endured, the injuries she sustained,” Delos Santos said. “We believe we have a strong case.” Pemberton will not be allowed to post bail, she said. Murder is punishable by up to 40 years in jail.

Very sad.

Praying for the repose of Jennifer’s soul, for the truth to come out, and for justice* to prevail.

As said in the article:

President Benigno Aquino has said the case should not sour relations with the US, the Philippines’s most important diplomatic and military ally. “Name me any place that doesn’t have any crime. And the sin of one person should be reflective of the entire country? I don’t think so,” Aquino said in October.

*as much justice as can be hoped for in this vale of tears.

Very sad and deplorable, but I have to ask, was the victim a woman or a man (biologically, from birth)? I never can tell when they say “transgender woman” what exactly they mean.

Does it really matter what gender the victim was born as?

Or that they were transgendered?

Peace

Tim

No. I am assuming PietraPaolo asked just for the sake of having all the info.

As I understand it*, a transgender woman was born male, and identifies as female.

Major caveat: I’m not au fait with all the terms used in this area, this is merely my understanding.

Why all the flak for asking? The story is tragic, no doubt, but the “gender agenda” is unnecessarily being pushed here. You’re a man or a woman dependent solely on your biology upon birth (ie. your sex). I don’t really care what someone wishes they were (their “gender”).

Does any of that take away from the horror of the story? No. But publishing a story about a “transgendered woman” (a man pretending to be a woman), which story insists on calling the man “Jennifer” seems to be pushing a radical political agenda as much as reporting on a heinous crime.

It has already been a major story here in the Philippines for quite some time.

It is very sad that “Jennifer” died, no matter what the reasons are. But I think what is worse is that there are people in my country who are saying that “Jennifer” deserved to die because she is a transsexual. Yes, you can scold a transsexual for changing their sex, but you shouldn’t want any ill, harm or death happening to them.

A Marine killed a Filipina and you are ranting about “the ‘gender agenda’ is unnecessarily being pushed”; you are missing the point.

Well I guess get used to it :shrug:

I agree that if the “gender agenda” isn’t pushed, it would just be a tragic story about a human being unjustly killed.

A Marine killed a Filipina and you are ranting about “the ‘gender agenda’ is unnecessarily being pushed”; you are missing the point.

People these days are pushing agendas on everything. I’ve watched the family of “Jennifer” on local television here and they only want justice for her murder. That’s all the news story is about here. And what he is saying is that both the secular liberals (and also those who say “Jennifer” deserve to die because of her being a transsexual) are pushing this agenda and made it even more controversial than just merely a murder news story.

I’m assuming by the little details in the article that this was case of the guy thinking Jeffery is a woman only to find out differently in the hotel room. I wonder how much alcohol was involved for such an overreaction.

Of course it does-if not for the fact he killed a transgender no one would have ever heard of this murder.

It’d still probably hit the news because it involves an American soldier abroad. Strangulation and drowning is a very personal and hateful form of death

Witness Says Suspect U.S. Marine Didn’t Know Murdered Filipina Was Transgender

A friend of murdered Filipina Jennifer Laude testified that the American suspect, who went out with the two of them on the night of the crime, didn’t know that they were transgender.

Mark Clarence Gelviro made her statement during a Philippine Senate hearing Wednesday and also identified U.S. Marine Joseph Scott Pemberton in a photo lineup, reports online news portal InterAksyon.

Pemberton allegedly met Laude and Gelviro on Oct. 11 at a bar in Subic Bay, a port that often hosts U.S. warships. He was visiting for a joint military exercise involving 4,000 American soldiers and sailors. Gelviro claimed to the hearing that Pemberton was drunk but friendly, and that he “thought we were real women.

The three of them then allegedly went to a motel in nearby Olongapo City, where Gelviro said she left the two others alone in a room. …

A tragic killing, like that of transgender Gwen Araujo in California.

The United States embassy in Manila has rejected a request from Philippine authorities to hand over Pemberton, increasing the likelihood of more anti-American protests.

“The United States will retain custody of Pemberton as provided by the United States-Philippine Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA),” the embassy said in a statement on Wednesday.

“The United States has the right to retain custody of a suspect from the commission of the alleged offense until completion of all judicial proceedings.”

Manila and Washington signed the Visiting Forces Agreement in 1998, to allow US forces to hold military drills in the Philippines to test the readiness of the allies, and the pact sets legal rules on how to treat erring servicemen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.