US plans $4bn for self-driving rules

From BBC News:

bbc.com/news/technology-35320177

Personal note: If that thing in the photo is considered a car, I wouldn’t own one if they were free. A wooden box with bicycle pedals and chain with a plastic roof would be better.

Ed

That looks like a smart car.

Self drive technology can be applied to any car, so they really wont look any different on the exterior from todays cars, the only Im not sure of is how they plan to deal with people that still have very old cars, like 1990 and older, Maybe eventually, self drive will be a mandatory ‘add on’ if someones car does not have it from the factory, they must have it installed, but I doubt that would go over well.

Ive said it before on here, self driving cars are coming very soon, and its going to radically change the way we all drive. Ive seen 60 minutes stories with the big 3 automakers in the past year, self driving will be launched in 2017-2018, it will start out small, like the new MB, which has a self driving mode only for the expressway, this is the way they are all going.

Any common sense should tell you, for this to really work, it MUST include everyone, not just some cars with self driving mode, probably become a law eventually that you must engage self drive majority of the time, or at certain times/ areas, human driving is too unpredictable to a computer.

I think ultimately, its a good, as it will mean, no more DUIs, accidents will be a rare thing, car insurance will go away altogether or at least rates go way down, no more need for major collision coverage, plus, police presence on the roads wont be needed that much, they can focus on more important things, I can only think of positives.

No device is perfect. Whatever technology is installed will have a failure rate. If we are talking about millions of cars, that number will not be insignificant. I won’t be forced to use freeways. And even if my current car could be retrofitted, and a sensor failure occurs Sunday night, then what? And what will it cost to fix? I’m not seeing any positives here. If a person is too mentally disabled to drive, a friend or taxi would be a better and cheaper option.

Sadly, people do have heart attacks while driving. Other medical problems might occur. A computer cannot help.

Scenario: Someone on the freeway has a faulty system but has not repaired it. His car veers into yours. There is a car in front of you and behind. Your collision avoidance system will not help you, especially if the only options are making contact with a concrete wall or rolling up an embankment.

I’ve always had an interest in technology but this, in my view, is not a well thought out idea.

Ed

I am certainly not willing to bet my life on a defect free computer program, or on defect free hardware. It will be a very long time before you can convince me that non human systems are more safe than humans. I would probably have a stroke the first time I rode in such a vehicle.

Which would be much safer for all the other drivers on the road than if you had a stroke while actually driving the car. The older I get, the more I look forward to a car that will do the driving for me.

From insurancejournal.com

insurancejournal.com/news/national/2015/12/22/392781.htm

Ed

Well, isn’t that special? $4 Bill to help - help who? ISIS is planning to use them as bombs!

Seems to me the whole idea is one major crash away from finished.

Do you really believe everyone involved in this effort is just going to give up and quit when some problems come along? of course not, sure they will problems with the 1st gen, 2nd gen, 3rd gen self driving cars, but from the extensive effort I see going into all this, they will keep going until they get all the bugs out.Too many industries involved to just give up and go back to manual driving.

The benefits are going to be well worth it in the long run, eventually there will be no more DUIs, no one killed by a drunk driver, older and disabled people will not be home bound, collision insurance coverage will go away, texting and driving will be something people laugh about, remember when people actually had to drive a car? lol In time, just like we talk today about cell phones, computers, etc. we will wonder how people in the past ever got along with them.

It will happen.

Also, hopefully, we will see the end of road rage and over-aggressive driving. The real trick will be getting everyone on board with the idea of driverless cars. While I welcome to idea, there will be passionate hold-outs who insist that they are infinitely better equipped to do their own driving. So we will still have tailgating, unnecessary lane changing and passing, and folks leaning on the horn and offering obscene gestures when they decide the driverless car ahead of them is traveling too slow. It will be a long, unpleasant transition, I think, but we will be safer and actually less aggravated once it happens.

Two billion here, two billion there; pretty soon we are talking big money! Our debt is
19 TRILLION DOLLARS. Cuts have to be made not more Obama waste programs!

Notice that self-driving cars are said to be safer because they do not involve human error, which causes a lot of accidents.

Who is programming the self-driving cars–God? No, those same humans subject to human error…

And I will be beyond annoyed (to put it politely) if the feds spend $4B to line up traffic regs across all the states so that the car companies can make even more in profits. First, we have not gotten to the point where this needs to be done. How sure are we that self-drving cars are going to work? Personally, I would not ride in one on any but a town road where everyone has to go slowly anyway.

Second, there is no way that it should cost $4B to line up traffic regs across all the states; that is just absurd. They ought to start from scratch and spend a tenth, if that, of $4B.

Self-driving cars provide a whole new set of opportunities—for lawyers.

Imagine the lawsuits on the inevitable malfunctions.

As for car companies making a fortune, well they already are making a fortune. In most parts of he US people have no choice but to drive, making cars a necessity.

I doubt anyone would consider lost life a ‘bug’ to simply keep working on until they get the kinks out.

Look back to when the very first cars were created, it was extremely dangerous, it took awhile to catch on, many people wanted the horse and carriage to stick around, many lives are lost due to technological progress, but we saw the car eventually replaced the horse and buggy.

Many people still die because of defects in cars, things break and cause accidents, but we dont hear anyone suggesting going back to horse and buggy because of it, instead, efforts are made to make them safer.

Actually, they have been shown to be better drivers than humans.

This is similar to when computers started getting popular, many people didnt trust them at first, and avoided them for awhile, claiming, doing things the ‘manual’ way is always better…of course, we know better today.

It reminds me of my grandparents in many ways, they would always favor doing things the old fashioned way, even if there were much more effective and easy ways to accomplish things with modern technology, they just preferred the older, manual ways, they didnt trust the new improved methods, same thing will be the case with self driving cars.

As a scientist involved in the effort of making CAV (connected and autonomous vehicles) happen, I can say that the statistics of fatalities, injuries, and material property due to crashes per year are related to human error. In addition, Machines can drive at closer headways than humans (i.e. humans are restricted by their reaction time) and thus help reduce the overall congestion of vehicles. Of course, everyone here is assuming we will OWN the vehicles. There are better ideas for these innovations such as Mobility on demand services, where you use your smartphone through apps to hail a connected and autonomous vehicle service to pick you up and drop you at your desired destinations. Advanced booking is also a possibility, where you can book the trips for your whole day with flexible time windows.

Those first cars did not have the litigious society we have now to hamper progress.

There are other problems that will need to be overcome aside from vehicle ownership issues. The current liability law will be one, and the other are software performance validation and verification issues, a particularly difficult example being “state explosion.” I imagine that just exploring the state space itself in a test environment will be challenging, and a contributor of end costs due to certifications needed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.