US State department's entire senior management team quits as Secretary Rex Tillerson takes up post

independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-state-department-senior-management-team-quit-resign-rex-tillerson-secretary-donald-trump-cabinet-a7547916.html

The entire senior level of management officials at the US State department has resigned - rather than serve under President Donald Trump.

Yikes.

That perfectly depicts how I’ve felt this entire week.

Isn’t there typically a lot of people that come and go with new administrations? I remember reading somewhere that a president appoints something like 5000 executive branch positions in the various departments and agencies. This was 4 people, 6 if you count the two mentioned who left last week.

These are all political appointees. It’s normal for them to leave upon when a new administration takes over. More fake news designed to stir up gullible Trump alarmists.

David Wade, former chief of staff for John Kerry, called it “the single biggest simultaneous departure of institutional memory that anyone can remember, and that’s incredibly difficult to replicate.” He added that such positions are extremely difficult to fill. Those who left were reportedly career foreign-service officers who’ve served in both Republican and Democratic administrations.

Patrick Kennedy, the agency’s undersecretary for management who had served in the role for nine years, resigned unexpectedly along with three of his top officials

Assistant Secretary of State for Administration Joyce Anne Barr, Assistant Secretary of State for Consular Affairs Michele Bond and Ambassador Gentry O. Smith, director of the Office of Foreign Missions, resigned as well, the report said.

All of them served under both Democratic and Republican administrations.

Not fake news to foreign governments who’ve established healthy relationships with our leaders. It might be overdramatized a bit however but what isn’t these days coming from the President?

This is not normal. While they are political appointees, nearly all of them are also career foreign service. Those folks general stay, and all of these people served under both Bush and Obama.

What I think the article gets wrong is that it is not clear that they quit rather than work for Trump. Most were expected to stay, and it could be that they were asked to leave. Either way, it creates a vacuum at State and a challenge for Tillerson.

The sky is falling…the sky is falling!:rolleyes:

Didn’t Patrick Kennedy’s name come up in one of the Clinton investigations as allegedly having proposed a “quid pro quo” to the FBI in exchange for them declassifying a particular email or emails? And his name has come up in other scandals as well – so it’s possible that his motivation was not just that he didn’t want to work for Trump.

Edited to add: foxnews.com/opinion/2016/10/21/ex-state-dept-insider-patrick-kennedys-long-history-with-scandal.html

I find this as evidence of just how politicized the State Department has become.

This is not a joke. 9/11 showed us that we are very vulnerable, in spite of all the nuclear weapons we hold.

As are all Cabinet positions and departments. But politics is a part of life.

[LIST]
*]Undersecretary for management - is a political appointee
*]Assistant Secretary of State for Consular Affairs - is a political appointee
*]Assistant Secretary of State for Administration is not on the list below but I am pretty sure is a political appointee
*]Director of the Office of Foreign Missions- is a political appointee
*]All ambassadors are political appointees
[/LIST]

the list is here
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_positions_filled_by_presidential_appointment_with_Senate_confirmation#Department_of_State

All political appointees normally put in their resignations at the end of the term of the last administration. Some come back, even under a different party, others do not.

As someone mentioned above, this is a non-story (fake news planted for political purposes?)

These have been here over various administrations across parties, and the fact that they’re all leaving simultaneously doesn’t happen typically. Also this isn’t fake new, this is real news. Fake news is a specific phenomena about fabricated stories. This actually happened - whether you think its significant or not is open to discussion.

CNN reporting they were let go.

That’s not true. Some served under Republicans and Democrats. I posted above:

Patrick Kennedy, the agency’s undersecretary for management who had served in the role for nine years, resigned unexpectedly along with three of his top officials

Assistant Secretary of State for Administration Joyce Anne Barr, Assistant Secretary of State for Consular Affairs Michele Bond and Ambassador Gentry O. Smith, director of the Office of Foreign Missions, resigned as well, the report said.

All of them served under both Democratic and Republican administrations.

Thanks for this info!

I think this is great news! We need a good house cleaning

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.