US to take Australia asylum seekers on Nauru and Manus Island

Australia and the US have reached a resettlement deal for asylum seekers held in offshore detention centres in Papua New Guinea and Nauru.

…“US authorities will conduct their own assessment of refugees and decide which people are resettled in the US,” he said.

…The agreement, to be administered with the United Nations refugee agency UNHCR, is available only to those currently in the processing centres *
Source*The US has been sending vast numbers of illegal Mexican migrants home, a pattern expected to continue in the next administration, and there has been widespread resistance even to foreign refugees whose reasons for migration were not economic. So it seems unlikely that Washington is going out of its way to be altruistic, when Canberra can’t seem to extend the same generosity to these refugees.

I smell a quid pro quo, and I suggest one of two possibilities:[LIST=1]
*]Australia (or maybe Nauru) is soon to take a number of Guantanamo prisoners, moving Obama closer to his goal of closing Gitmo before he leaves office. I’ll guess maybe 7 to 10 prisoners, out of I think 61 currently held there.
*]The Australian Navy will now join the US in actively conducting freedom of navigation exercises in the South China Sea. I think this is less likely, as it’s a lower priority for Obama than Guantanamo, it’s been made slightly more complex by Duterte, and it’s unclear whether Trump wants to continue in the same way.
[/LIST]

I heard about this, I don’t know what the details are. Nor do I have much knowledge of the situation in either places :shrug:

What are your Guantanamo Prisoners like?

I just hope they are resettled near Malcolm Turnbull so if it goes bad he lays down in his own bed that he made. Doubt it though.

I have a big problem with this sort of stuff, when Malcolm Turnbull and those who make these deals get to go home to their luxuries and if it goes bad it doesn’t effect them.

As for the South China sea, I wonder, is there a purpose to this? or are they just trying to poke a bee hive?

Oh well, no point getting anxious over it, nothing I can do about it. :frowning:

God Bless

Thank you for reading
Josh

The Guantanamo prison was created after the events of 2001. It is essentially a place where foreign terror suspects can be confined without recourse to the Constitutional law system, as it is outside US territory (part of a base leased from Cuba).

Shutting it down has been a “priority” for Obama (although he has let his term run to its end before doing so).

So those leaving it would be mostly Afghan and Iraqi War prisoners suspected of involvement in terrorist entities.

ICXC NIKA

closed #4

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.