US was more prepared for pandemic than any other country, Johns Hopkins study found

This is a ridiculous metric. On this day, we have 12% of the world’s cases, but a similar chart from a few days ago showed that out of the top 16 nations, we were 13th in cases per million, despite being the 2nd most populous nation of those 16.

India showed (when we had 10% of the world’s cases) that they had fewer than 500 confirmed cases. Either they do not know how many cases they have or there is some sort of anomaly which makes in an outlier.

If we take India out of the equation altogether, the US has 14% of the remaining world’s population and only 12% of the cases. Not so bad, according to your method of determining how good or bad things are.

So you’re saying that without India we are just average?

Yet we are the most prepared per OP? Sounds like an overhype of the administration to me.

How things turn out will depend on what actions are taken. According to a recent study by scientists and doctors at the Imperial College of London, if no action is taken to mitigate the spread of the virus, it is projected that up to 2.2 million Americans could die during this pandemic. Adopting some mitigation strategies like isolating those suspected of being infected and social distancing of the elderly might cut the death toll in half to 1.1 million. Only if stringent mitigation policies are implemented nationwide of the kind we now see in California and New York and some other states such as closure of schools and universities, social distancing and home isolation of much of the population (shelter in place) will we be able to cut the number of deaths to 200,000 or so. But already Mr. Trump wants to end the requirements for social distancing by Easter. That’s less than three weeks away and is almost certainly too soon and if he does so, we’ll probably end up with substantially more deaths which wouldn’t be a very positive action.

1 Like

And this doesn’t seem like a very positive Trump administration action (from the Washington Post):

A mad scramble for masks, gowns and ventilators is pitting states against each other and driving up prices. Some hard-hit parts of the country are receiving fresh supplies of N95 masks, but others are still out of stock. Hospitals are requesting donations of masks and gloves from construction companies, nail salons and tattoo parlors, and considering using ventilators designed for large animals because they cannot find the kind made for people.

The market for medical supplies has descended into chaos, according to state officials and health-care leaders. They are begging the federal government to use a wartime law to bring order and ensure the United States has the gear it needs to battle the coronavirus. So far, the Trump administration has declined.

My town is asking people to drop medical supplies off at specific drop off points.

1 Like

I mean, some countries are clearly preventing the spread though:

1 Like

Is this supposed to be better?

That Trump HAD a prepared nation and bungled it up this badly?

3 Likes

Yes, I suppose I thought it would be a flawed study, but perhaps you are right and Trump simply butchered the response even though he had a well-prepared nation.

The US is a nation of plenty. It shouldn’t surprise us we were prepared. Or, at least as prepared as conventional wisdom says to be. Ever since swine flu and SARS, certain medical experts have been saying we’re not prepared enough. But, let’s give it the benefit of the doubt for now.

Trump has consistently dropped the ball in all of this. From his administration’s dismissal of the pandemic response group, his delayed reactions to the problem, denying the scope and gravity of the disease, and now, talking about ending preventative measures before medically advisable.

He knows his re-election will be tied to the economy. That’s his only care. He wants to bang the economy drum during the campaign. So he’s burying his head in the sand.

2 Likes

So what exactly do you expect the destination to look like?

2 Likes

I’m saying that measure is as good as your measure. When the very first case showed up in China, that nation, with only 1/7th of the world’s population, had 100% of the cases.

Looking at the report, we are highly prepared in certain areas. For example, we score high on immunization and communications infrastructure.

The report does not focus on the abilities of those in charge–it focuses on more stable and measurable aspects of the nation.

We are facing a unique situation and taking unique measures against it. It remains to be seen how well or badly Trump handles it.

We could in fact have been very well prepared.

But plans don’t work unless you execute them.
Experts don’t help unless you listen to them.
Resources don’t work unless you mobilize them.
Infrastructure doesn’t work unless you utilize it.

2 Likes

Yes, I wish China could have prevented the spread of the virus last year when they
knew they had a problem. How many people would be alive today if they would
have closed their borders to people leaving China and arriving?

@ProVobis

1 Like

Thank you President Trump!

5 Likes

Today at a briefing Mr. Trump said that the country was “beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.” And yet only yesterday, our country had a new milestone: more than 100 coronavirus deaths in the US in a single day. It doesn’t look to me like there’s any light at the end of the tunnel yet. It looks more like we’re still at the beginning of the tunnel with a lot darkness ahead.

I tend to agree. It seems we are still at the beginning. I don’t want to ease the
restrictions to soon and make things worse and drag out longer.

Trump did not ban travelers form China.

1 Like

Neither a deflection nor false.
First, it was a comparison, comparing the current administration’s to actions of the administration during the 2009 H1N1. It is remarkable how some want to avoid such comparisons, calling them deflection or whataboutism, intent on keeping double standards in place.
Secondly? As for the accusation of falsehood, this in a CNN article reporting on President Obama’s announcement of a state of emergency.

Since the H1N1 flu pandemic began in April, millions of people in the United States have been infected, at least 20,000 have been hospitalized and more than 1,000 have died, said Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Trump Administration Restricts Entry Into U.S. From China
The travel disruption sent shocks through the stock market and rattled industries that depend on the flow of goods and people
between the world’s two largest economies.

And for those who say Trump did not act fast enough, from the same article:

The travel restrictions and the airline’s announcements showed how rapidly concerns about the virus have escalated into a grave test of the global economy, for which there is no recent precedent. Three weeks after the first virus-related death was reported, China has found itself increasingly cut off from its biggest trading partner, the United States, and many other nations.

Pandemic simulation exercise spotlights massive preparedness gap

Event 201, hosted by the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, envisions a fast-spreading coronavirus with a devastating impact

A great article with simulation that took place in Oct. We can agree Johns Hopkins is very well respected.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.