USA to France

Does anyone here have any idea what sorts of Catholic disciplines and practices might be different between USA and France? For example, are all the holy days of obligation the same? Are there any differences in required fasts? I can't figure out where to look for this information, and I'm going to be here for long enough that I think I should follow local custom instead of continuing to do what I used to in the US.

Your best bet would be to ask your « curé. » He can tell you anything you want to know. (If you stump him, he'll know where to find the answers you seek. And if even that fails, find another curé :eek:)

I can tell you that the Holy Days of Obligation aren't the same. For example, the Feast of the Immaculate Conception isn't an HDO here. The following are: Ascension, Assumption, All Saints, and Christmas Day. And...that's it. Note that there is no abrogation here. The Mass obligation for all HDOs is to be fulfilled on the actual day it falls on (or with a vigil the evening before). The good news is all of these days are legal holidays in France, so for most people it's not a struggle to find a way to get to Mass because the vast majority of the country's work force is off duty anyway. :yeah_me:

Required fasting is something I can't advise you on—I fast more than what's obligatory so I don't actually know what is obligatory. Again, ask your curé. If you haven't found a church to call home yet, let me know what specific info you seek and I'll ask my curé.

I'm with you: since I am now under the authority of the French bishops' conference (CEF) instead of the American one (USCCB), my obligation is to follow the directives of the former and not the latter.

Actually, you might find what you're looking for on the CEF website. Worth a shot. Bonne chance ! :)

I believe this is still correct that Belgium and France have Christmas, Ascension, All Saints’ Day, and Assumption, but no Immaculate Conception or Solemnity of Mary like the USA.

Christmas,
-]the Epiphany, /-]
the Ascension
-]Corpus Christi/-]
-]Holy Mary Mother of God/-]
-]her Immaculate Conception/-]
Assumption,
Saint Joseph
-]Apostles Saints Peter and Paul/-]
All Saints

The Solemnity of St. Joseph is also not an HDO in France.

Thank you, I missed that.

I believe (never having visited France) that meatless Fridays are still obligatory throughout the year as well as in Lent.

Probablement, but you will never find a cheeseless Friday in France:D

[quote="Cavaille-Coll, post:6, topic:307917"]
I believe (never having visited France) that meatless Fridays are still obligatory throughout the year as well as in Lent.

[/quote]

I googled it and according to what I found the rules in France are the same as in the US: abstinence from meat on Ash Wednesday, Good Friday and all Fridays in Lent. You may substitute other forms of penance for all other Fridays.

[quote="Usbek_de_Perse, post:7, topic:307917"]
Probablement, but you will never find a cheeseless Friday in France:D

[/quote]

Now THAT would be a horrible penance!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.