USCCB Condemns Separating Immigrant Children from Families

From my viewpoint, we have American Catholics being told one thing by Jeff Sessions and Donald Trump and another thing by their own bishops who can show them 100 years of written directions concerning immigration coming from the Vatican to back up their position, and they’re choosing to side with Trump.

I fail to see how this is different from Catholics who are told by the Church that allowing gays to attempt even civil marriage is wrong but who decide for themselves that they would rather side with the view that has become politically popular.

There are good Catholics that disagree with the Bishops. Is that sinful? I don’t think so.

In fact, dozens of bishops, if not hundreds of them, need a good schooling in objective facts and need to stop being shills for the Democratic Party — the same Democrats who give them loads of money when they are in power.

Link: churchmilitant(dot)com/video/episode/vortex-they-wont-stop

To paraphrase Trump, they are dissenters and selfish people, though I assume some are good Catholics.

Seriously, of course good Catholics disagree with them on this. Good Catholics are wrong all the time. They sin all the time. The only point that has been made is that on this one issue with immigration, there is one clearly immoral choice that should not be considered, leaving a myriad of other options.

If I were President, I think I could reluctantly approve of separating families for a short time to thwart child sex trafficking and the border slave trade. Not to mention drug traffickers and terrorists.

As a thought experiment, if 80% of the population of Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Mexico, etc wanted to escape the violence poverty and gangs of their home countries, how many people would we be expected to give asylum to?

Avoid chuchmilitant and anything else from Michael Voris. He does not represent the Church and borders on being a heretic himself. Beware!

This is a thought experiment for a different thread. The statement by the Bishops was about separating children from their parents, not about admitting people as immigrants.

However, in three weeks, the Sunday Gospel for the 17th Sunday in Ordinary Time may give you some guidance as to the answer Jesus would give you your thought experiment.

The Popes and the bishops have always held that finding a way to return a region to peace and safety for its inhabitants is always the first priority and the only long-term solution.
So, as your thought experiment, what should the governments of the rest of the Americas be doing, in that case?
Think about it: how bad would things have to get in your home town before even 20% of the population decided they needed to take their children and flee to a foreign country that either does not want you at all or maybe wants to have you and your children around as second-class citizens, a country with one of the most difficult languages in the world to learn? It isn’t as if the US government is still giving away 160 acres of farmland for a filing fee and 5 years of continuous occupation.

That is exactly what the Catholics who are in favor of same sex marriage and lenient abortion laws say.

For Ms. Pelosi, the notion of disagreeing with other Catholics about abortion has not weighed on her sense of faith. “I think everyone grants everyone their position,” she said. “The church has their position, and we have ours, which is that a woman has free will given to her by God. My family is very pro-life,” she added, noting that she has lived with the conflict all her life.
(New York Times, In Pelosi, Strong Catholic Faith and Abortion Rights Coexist, Sept. 21, 2015)

Pope John Paul II, again:
I wrote in 1989: “Often, flourishing Christian communities started out as small colonies of migrants which, under the leadership of a priest, met in humble buildings to hear the Word of God and to beg him for courage to face the trials and sacrifices of their difficult life” (Message for World Migration Day, n. 2, Insegnamenti XII, 2. p. 491; L’Osservatore Romano English edition, 30 October, 1989, p. 8). Many peoples came to know Christ through migrants who arrived from the lands evangelized in ancient times.

Today the trend in migratory movement has been as it were inverted. It is non-Christians, increasingly numerous, who go to countries with a Christian tradition in search of work and better living conditions, and they frequently do so as illegal immigrants and refugees. This causes complex problems which are not easy to solve. For her part, the Church, like the Good Samaritan, feels it her duty to be close to the illegal immigrant and refugee, contemporary icon of the despoiled traveler, beaten and abandoned on side of the road to Jericho (cf. Lk 10:30). She goes towards him, pouring “on his wounds the oil of consolation and the wine of hope” (Roman Missal, Common Preface VII), feeling herself called to be a living sign of Christ, who came that all might have life in abundance (cf. Jn 10:10).

In this way she acts in the spirit of Christ and follows in his steps, at the same time attending to the proclamation of the Good News and to solidarity towards others, elements which are intimately united in the Church’s activity.
http://w2.vatican.va/content/john-paul-ii/en/messages/migration/documents/hf_jp-ii_mes_26081996_world-migration-day.html

Please do not tell me that John Paul II just did not get it, that he was somehow out of touch with the pastoral reality in countries receiving refugees. He lived through World War II, he lived through the occupation of his homeland by both the Nazis and the Communists, through times of great want and danger. He knows all about choosing what to render to Caesar and what to render to God.

I agree with this 100%. President Trump should summon the despots of these failed nations to Mar a Lago, so he can read the riot act to them and give them instruction to get their countries in order. The Roosevelt Corollary of the Monroe Doctrine give America the authority to do exactly that.

I am honestly of the belief that if the Russian Revolution, Stalin’s pogroms or Hitler’s regime were happening today, the naysayers would be of the same mindset in relation to them

“why is what’s going on in Russia/Germany our problem? Why doesn’t everyone simply stay over there and make their own countries great again?”
'why can’t they all simply wait in Europe and apply in the American consulates there and do it the legal way?
“why can’t they seek asylum in the other European/Asian countries they pass through on their way to the US?”
“how do we know they’re REALLY White Russians/anti-communists fleeing Stalin/Jews fleeing Nazi Germany and not Commie or Nazi spies and infiltrators or some other species of deviant criminal?”

And I am sure they would hang on his every word like the G8 leaders did at their recent summit.

They don’t need to be separated in the first place. I stand with the Catholic Church on this one.

You have no proof of this.

I read the article, give it a shot sometime.

A report by Politico, where they seem to acknowledge ICE has a problem with children being recycled to move people over the border

The Pharisees favorite tool. I am not Jesus, and the question is not on topic.

There is no good answer for it, is there?

Yes, I wonder about the leaders of those countries. Rampant with crime and corruption, they seem to have no problem with large segments of their populations trying to get the heck out. Wouldn’t they see this as a brain drain problem? As long as they’re sending $$ back home, the leaders seem okay with a lot of folks leaving.

I don’t think housing children in the penitentiary with the parents is that good of an idea, regardless of who might be advocating it.

The language being used as well as the behavior of some of the inmates isn’t really something that most children need to be exposed to.

Some of the children undoubtably need to be scared straight, but that’s not the majority and I can’t see how incarceration of children with their parents is always a great idea.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.