USCCB: Reiki incompatible with Christianity

Reiki Therapy Unscientific, ‘Inappropriate for Catholic Institutions,’ Say Bishops’ Guidelines

Bishops take theological stand against Reiki, citing ‘danger of malevolent forces’

The guidelines warn that in using Reiki for one’s spiritual health, “there are important dangers.”

“To use Reiki one would have to accept at least in an implicit way central elements of the worldview that undergirds Reiki theory, elements that belong neither to Christian faith nor to natural science. Without justification either from Christian faith or natural science, however, a Catholic who puts his or her trust in Reiki would be operating in the realm of superstition, the no-man’s-land that is neither faith nor science,” they state.

“Superstition corrupts one’s worship of God by turning one’s religious feeling and practice in a false direction,” the Guidelines state. “While sometimes people fall into superstition through ignorance, it is the responsibility of all who teach in the name of the Church to eliminate such ignorance as much as possible.”

“Since Reiki therapy is not compatible with either Christian teaching or scientific evidence, it would be inappropriate for Catholic institutions, such as Catholic health care facilities and retreat centers, or persons representing the Church, such as Catholic chaplains, to promote or to provide support for Reiki therapy,” the Guidelines said.

I read the full statement and was glad for it, though I fear they have not stated it strongly enough, nor tied it sufficiently to the occult so that many practitioners will cease.

Let’s hope this is the start of a further crack down. :slight_smile:

I agree.

In other words, reiki could wrecki your state of grace?

(Sorry)

(No I’m not)

:smiley:

DaveBj

My 7-year-old daughter has a friend whose (non-Catholic) mom is into this. I called her over to ask if the mom had ever tried to “heal” her. Her answer? “Don’t be stupid, Mom. Only Jesus can do that.”

I should send her to talk to the mom. :smiley:

I’m so scared about this. It wasn’t until I read the discussion about it months ago here that I really got scared. I know someone who was in to it - I thought it was for relaxation purposes, and I think they do it at a physical therapy place. They did it once to me and once to my now-deceased Mom. The person didn’t say anything or touch us. Just running hands above - sort of parallel to the body. I thought it was ridiculous and had no intention of repeating. I don’t know what to do or how to undo anything bad, IF so. Scared out of my mind. Does anyone know if something bad could have happened to me or my mother? Your honesty would be appreciated. :frowning:

What is the practical implications of these guidelines? Our local Franciscan Spirituality Center currently offers Reiki, will they be required to stop?

The Wikipedia article on Reiki en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reiki is pretty true to what my daughter’s friend told me about it. I honestly didn’t listen as closely as I probably should have, because I was thinking about how she didn’t look crazy while she was talking, which I admit wasn’t very charitable. :blush:

Her religious beliefs are basically some sort of ‘everyone has to find their own path to the truth’ sort of thing. I don’t know if that is common to all practitioners, though, as she is the only one that I know.

Yes, something bad could have happened, because something bad did happen: Reiki. How bad? How much? We do not know.

If a bunch of witches got together doing a ‘white’ magic healing ceremony over you, though you didn’t know that is what it was, something bad did happen. If a bunch of witches across the continent cast a curse on you without your knowledge or consent, something bad did happen, and how much harm would it do, we do not know.

By the way there is ‘long distance’ Reiki and they practice this too.

I suggest a rosary, Divine Mercy Chaplet, and some prayers specifically all dedicated specifically to undoing and protecting against any all bad spiritual effects. A mass would be perfect too. :slight_smile:

Do not however be ‘scared out of your mind’ be prudent and do these things, dedicating yourselves to the Lord. Peace. :slight_smile:

ConservativeOne, I don’t think sharing reiki horror stories will be helpful - I think it will only add to your anxiety. It seems to me that the temporal effect of your brush with reiki is fear. Instead of giving you worst case scenarios, I’ll offer some practical advice on dealing with your fear.

If you haven’t confessed participating in a reiki session, I would go ahead and do that to help with your peace of mind on this issue. It doesn’t sound like you went into it with full knowledge that it was a problem, but the level of fear you have over this one incident tells me some healing is needed. Take it to confession, and then follow up with this prayer to take back any ground Satan may have gained by your participation in reiki:

Renunciation Of Satan and Claiming the Full Victory

I claim the full victory that my Lord Jesus Christ won on the Cross for me. Having disarmed the powers and authorities, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross" (Col. 2:15) His victory for me is my victory.

In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ I renounce all the workings of Satan in my life in all its forms, whether brought into my life by my actions or by others. I break all attachments, ground, curses, spells, and rights Satan may have in my life whether such ground was gained through my actions or through others. Strengthened by the intercession of the Immaculate Virgin Mary, Mother of God, of Blessed Michael the Archangel, of the Blessed Apostles Peter and Paul, and all the Saints and Angels of Heaven, and powerful in the holy authority of the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, I ask you Lord to command Satan and all his minions, whomever they may be, to get out of my life and stay out. With that authority I now take back the ground in my life gained by Satan through my sins. I reclaim this ground and my life for Christ. I now dedicate myself to the Lord Jesus Christ; I belong to Him alone. Amen.

The fear may not go away instantly, but I strongly suspect that with a little time you will find less and less anxiety associated with that incident. Confess it, pray about it, and then put it behind you. :hug1:

OH, MY GOD…OH, MY GOD…Is this something that has to be confessed? MOST ASSUREDLY I wouldn’t have allowed anything evil around the house…My fear is what I’ve heard (since several months ago) from reading about it here. But we have to be educated enough to avoid the evils in the world. Must I confess this? I will - but I didn’t think it was a sin. I’m sick at heart tonight.
Behold, the Cross of the Lord
Begone, ye enemy powers!
The Lion of the Tribe of Juda,
The Root of David has conquered - Alleluia. Alleluia. Amen.
God help me and my mother’s soul.

Well, you did not know, though there still there can be some culpability, and renouncing the occult in the sacrament is very useful for breaking any possible power of the occult.

Do not be so fearful you have nightmares or are haunted by thoughts of this old chap. Make an act of contrition, do the prayers and penance over time, and be at peace. It’s one more task that has to be dealt with. Be strong in the Lord. It is through thanksgiving for God we gain strength. It looks like you’ve already got the quote from Holy Scripture and the Brief of St. Anthony on hand.

St. Anthony of Padua ora pro nobis. :slight_smile:

**Psalm 23
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want; he maketh me to lie down in green pastures. He leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul. He leadeth me in paths of righteousness for his name sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies; Thou anointest my head with oil, my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Our Father. . .

Take a deep breath - if you didn’t know it was a sin then it couldn’t have been mortal. If you’ve been to confession since this incident, even if you didn’t think to mention it, you’ve been absolved. Confessing it now though could help you get it off your chest so you can move on. This is nothing to be sick over - you don’t need to lose sleep tonight thinking you’re in mortal sin over this thing - because you’re not.

If you didn’t know it was a sin then it certainly isn’t a mortal one - and receiving the eucharist since then absolved it, however any continuing problem/stain on your soul (I can’t think of the right word:o) is still there and may be the cause of your fear. Confession and penance should take care of that. Remember, He is much stronger than His creation, Lucifer. We just need to keep His limitless Mercy and Love at the forefront of our mind. Relax. Now you know.

Beautifully said, Bridgid. It does sound to me like the anxiety ConservativeOne is experiencing may be a temporal effect of the involvement with reiki.

Hmmmm…:confused:

So, just so I know I understand, Reiki is when an average person, so to speak, attempts to heal someone soley through the Holy Spirit and…takes the credit for it:confused:.

Please explain.

catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?id=2929&CFID=1173902&CFTOKEN=38094901

Another accurate treatment of the issue ncregister.com/daily/enough_with_reiki_retreats

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.