USCCB urges senators to support Conscience Protection Act [CWN]

The chairmen of two committees of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops have called upon senators to pass the Conscience Protection Act of 2017 (S. 301), sponsored by Sen. James Lankford (R-OK).

More…

“These laws can only be enforced by complaint to the Office for Civil Rights at the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), which—despite repeated violations—has refused to fully enforce these laws,”

Don’t need another law, just need someone to hold the enforcement people accountable.

If we could ensure enforcement that would be great but most Federal departments only enforce or defend the laws the current puppet master in the oval office tells them to. In a sense it means many federal laws are subject to political whim.

The main thing it looks to do is allow a private citizen to bring a civil action when the State refuses to act. Personally I would prefer to have the option to act as a private citizen rather than having to rely on a constantly changing political appointee who may or may not feel like I have a right to conscience.

It seems possible to me that the legislative branch might try to enforce its own laws. If the president won’t create a department in the executive branch to enforce a law (e.g. a conscience law), the legislative branch might pass a bill authorizing themselves to create a department to enforce that law. If they do that, and if the president signs it, it would seem to follow logically that he has transferred some executive authority to the legislative branch for the enforcement of this particular law. Does that sound accurate? If so, perhaps that is what the legislators are trying to do. They might not trust the president to enforce laws protecting Christians from anti-discrimination laws passed by individual states. So perhaps they are trying to do something on their own. If so, I say more power to them!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.