Use of a particual word by writer

I am a writer who used a curse word as part of a taunting song in my musical comedy. It doesn’t appear anywhere else in the musical and I had it in there for humorous effect. Do I have to worry whether this is a sin since perhaps someone in the theater audience might be offended by it? I looked up the word in the dictionary and the word means obnoxious and aggressive when used to describe a particularly nasty woman. Sin or not?l Mortal or venial?

Crude language and slang (the “b” word) isn’t a curse in the sense of the commandments.

To curse someone is not the same as using crude language. Crude language is not inherently sinful.

1 Like

Art has to imitate life to be good. I think you are OK. But the PC Police might get you! Let me know when it opens. I will go see it.

2 Likes

I would say that it’s not a presentable thing to do, since you should try and act with class (this isn’t a dig at you, just getting the point across). I would say that it definitely wasn’t mortally sinful, but maybe you should talk to your Priest/Confessor next time you’re in the confessional.

Well, it was said above that art has to imitate life, and that is true, but there are appropriate ways to do so. A story might contain thieves, liars, murderers, etc… but their sinful acts should never be portrayed as righteous and heroic by us. The fact that the crude insult is intended to evoke laughter may not be so great…

This is true, but there are instances where it can be. Now, what does instances are, I leave to people who know it a lot better than I do.

Art is not a get out of jail free card. Vulgar and crude language are right out.

I don’t think what I wrote as a song for my musical was vulgar at all. I would be glad to send you the song and the melody so you could see and hear it for yourself. Would you like me to do that?

“Beauty is Truth and Truth Beauty” means the truth of why we are here lies in the beauty of God’s love for us.

Language has its colours as does music. Colourful language and colourful music combined engage an audience more, especially if the audience can relate to them. Context is important. Is your musical aimed at those with a religious bent or to a general audience with a view to evangelising your faith? If the former then maybe colourful language should be avoided. The job is done and your audience are most likely expecting something in the shape of a contemporary mass or service where such language is not considered proper. If the latter then go for it. Show that your faith isn’t bound.

From Jerry Springer The Opera.
It’s appropriate and it has a message: Celebrate Life despite your frustrations.

WARNING: CONTAINS COLOURFUL LANGUAGE

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.