use of incense

Hello everyone!

I attended a morning Mass last Sunday (2nd Sunday of the Month) at a Catholic Cathedral. There was only one priest and one deacon. For some reason, the priest decided to use Incense at this Mass. They never use the incense for Sunday masses but he wanted to for this Mass. The mass had the children’s liturgy of the word (right after opening prayer the priest asked all the children in the church to come forward and two ladies took them to another room, and they returned right after the general intercessions.) The other parts of the Mass where done the same way as always. Could someone please explain to me why you think the priest decided to use Incense at this Mass??

Why don’t you ask him?

Incense is symbolic of our prayers rising to God. Is it ever forbidden to use it?

Because incense is a wonderful thing, it is timeless and so very Catholic.

Why should he have NOT used incense?

In the Byzantine Liturgy and most Eastern tradition, incense is NEVER absent.

I think it should be reinstituted to being used at every Mass.

Incense is optional during weekday DLs.

At my Parish incense is used at every Sunday Mass, feast and Holy Day. But to be fair i attend a “reform of the reform” parish.

Is the Cathedral associated with St Benedict is any way? The 2nd Saturday was his feast day so that is one reason. Could be it was the priest’s or the deacon’s anniversary of ordination, Mother’s birthday, any number of reasons or none at all. There are no restrictions that I know of on the use of incense, so it could be that the priest just likes the smell. Or maybe one of the altar boys wanted experience with it. :smiley:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbasilphx View Post
Why should he have NOT used incense?

In the Byzantine Liturgy and most Eastern tradition, incense is NEVER absent.
Incense is optional during weekday DLs.

Incense is always used in the Byzantine tradition, regardless of the day.

I thinks the use of incense is a grate way to show are love to the lord

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.