Use of the Ambo outside of the Mass

I know what the GIRM says:

1. …From the ambo only the readings, the Responsorial Psalm, and the Easter Proclamation (Exsultet) are to be proclaimed; likewise it may be used for giving the Homily and for announcing the intentions of the Universal Prayer. The dignity of the ambo requires that only a minister of the word should stand at it. usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/roman-missal/general-instruction-of-the-roman-missal/girm-chapter-5.cfm

Two questions:

In general, do the rules presented in the GIRM only apply during Mass or at all times?

Can the Ambo be used for other things outside of the Mass?

Our pastor is using it to present Catechism lessons from.

Ask your priest. It all sounds like it’s being used for a holy purpose.

From what you say the ambo isn’t being used for “other things” it’s being used to teach the faith.

The GIRM governs the celebration of liturgies according to the Roman Missal. Presentations and instructions which use the ambo and are given outside of Mass are not governed by the GIRM.

But it still seems that the spirit of the law is to only allow the ambo to be used for sacred purposes.

If you want to discuss the spirit of the law you might ask whether the sanctuary and nave of the church ought to be used for such a purpose, not just whether or not the ambo should be used.

But just as some parishes do not have a sufficiently large facility for non-liturgical functions other than the nave of the church, there are parishes that do not have a suitable place for a speaker to stand other than the ambo.

And catechism would seem to qualify for that.

:thumbsup: My parish prays the Rosary before the Saturday Vigil, and the three Sunday Masses. I lead the Rosary at the ambo on the last Sunday Mass at 11 AM. There is no where else for me to stand and speak.

[quote="SMHW, post:6, topic:294371"]

But just as some parishes do not have a sufficiently large facility for non-liturgical functions other than the nave of the church, there are parishes that do not have a suitable place for a speaker to stand other than the ambo.

[/quote]

I know the GIRM does not apply, and there is no "spirit of the GIRM". If there was, it would apply even less. I would say that this is something best left for the pastor's discretion and not worth questioning him on.

[quote="japhy, post:7, topic:294371"]
And catechism would seem to qualify for that.

[/quote]

In the same way as a sermon or homily, which is not, strictly speaking, a sacred action.

Here I would strongly disagree. The Homily is most definitely a sacred action taken by the priest, bishop or deacon who delivers the homily. It is the breaking open of the word in an authoritative action; it is a sacred and required action, at least for feast days which includes Sundays.

Outside of the Mass, it is acceptable to teach catechism from the ambo.

I should have added…most homilies may seem very “un-sacred” to the average listener that I can agree. But that’s not because the spot isn’t reserved for the sacred…:wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.