Use of the Gospel of John

For the Mass there is a three year cycle that the Gospel of Matthew, Mark, or Luke is used as the primary Gospel.
Had the Gospel of John ever been considered to be used for one of the liturgical cycles?
Thus most of the Gospel readings for a liturgical year would be from the Gospel of John.

:hmmm:

In case you were unaware: in Year B, when the main Gospel is Mark (the shortest Gospel), we interrupt the run of Mark to have a continuous reading of chapter 6 of John over a few weeks. The Gospel of John is also heavily used on special days around Christmas and Easter, and is used at the beginning of Ordinary Time every year.

I assume the purpose of this system is to make sure that everyone is very familiar with the basic narrative of the Gospels (the three synoptic Gospels being much more narrative than John), while we get much of the more philosophical content of John at specific relevant times. If you take Sundays and Feast Days together, we actually hear a higher percentage of the Gospel of John than either of the Gospels of Matthew and Luke over those 3 years.

Sorry if you already knew all that.

I looked in the table of readings in the back of my Sunday Lectionary, and it shows that the Gospel of John is assigned to 65 Sundays in the three year lectionary cycle (A,B,C). That’s not bad!

Used at the EF every Sunday.

Also used on Good Friday in both forms, I believe.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.