Use of the word "us" in the Divine Mercy Chaplet

In the divine mercy chaplet we say “have mercy on us and on the whole world.” But, if we are praying it alone, what does “us” refer to. Maybe the whole Church?

You are not only praying for yourself, but for others. It would be selfish to just pray for yourself. That is why in the Ave Maria, we say “pray for us sinners,” not “pray for me, a sinner.” Part of praying includes praying for others. That is why whenever you pray, you should remember others as well, instead of just yourself.

Never thought of it that way. Perhaps there’s some redundancy there? (Sometimes it comes up in translation.) Us or the Church would be part of the “whole world,” I would think.

Guess it is the same as when we say grace before meals and we eat alone.

Jesus told Sister Faustina to say it that way.

Yes, that’s what I mean by my question. The “us” just seems redundant since it is followed by “the whole world”. I suppose it is not “us sinners” because sinners are part of the world. My guess would be that it is speaking of the visible Church and then “the world” refers to those not part of the visible Church.

If you pray the Chaplet in the presence of a dying person and you are praying at that time specifically for that person do you still use the word “us” or should it be “him” or “her” or the person’s actual name?

You are supposed to say “us” because that is the official words that were given to us by Jesus Christ in the apparition.

I’m going to have to look at the original. Don’t forget the “for you and for all” translation was also redundant until they fixed it. (Of course it had other problems as well.)

Us.

Quote:

**“While saying the Chaplet, it is necessary to be faithful to the text, which cannot be changed for any reason whatsoever” **

~(Dr.) Fr. Andrew Witko (Professor at the Pontifical University of Bl. John Paul II in Krakow Poland) from “Saint Faustina and the Divine Mercy” 2003

(he is an expert who was asked personally by Bl. John Paul II - to write on the subject)

I take it to mean:
Have mercy on us (all of us who pray the Chaplet) and on the whole world (the people who don’t)

Here it is sung in Polish (with English subtitles)

youtube.com/watch?v=QI3I9CyeS7A

Sounds a little more natural in the Polish, if I may say so.

I just think of the “us” the same way as in the Hail Mary - we say us whether praying it alone or in a group. In the original Polish, the word used is definitely “us”.

Okay thanks.
However, that being the case then why is it necessary to say the Chaplet in the presence of a dying person for it to be of benefit to that person. Why can’t it benefit the dying person I’m thinking about if I pray it anywhere?

Such was a particular aspect specified in the Private Revelation.

Can it be of “benefit” to the dying person if your not there? Sure. And certainly do that with trust in the Lord --who is pleased with such.

But as to that aspect - yes being there was specified. Of course there it is not magic etc- it is prayer - but just as in the Old Testament the Lord at times specified particular things - like “go bath there” so in a similar way certain graces can be attached to say going to Pilgrimage to this place or that…not in a superstitious way but in way of faith in Jesus and devotion. Though we are of course to still pray other places and such prayer can yes be of benefit. And of key importance to that devotion - and to Christian life for us -is trust -so let us always pray and trust.

That seems to be the implication in the Polish. It’s almost like the “whole world” part was an afterthought. Just my opinion though.

I like the Divine Mercy. I pray the Chaplet every afternoon. Mornings I pray the Rosary.

Jesus having afterthoughts? :rolleyes:

“The recitation of the Chaplet, although said individually, should always be in the plural- have mercy on us and not have mercy on me. Changing the plural to the singular, would be against Jesus’ will, because the use of the plural in the Chaplet reflects Jesus’ teaching in the Our Father. When we say the Chaplet, we ask God to *Have mercy on us and on the whole world *…**Us means both the people saying the prayer and those they are praying for; whereas the whole world means all the people on the earth as well as the souls in purgatory. The words have mercy on us and on the whole world has another significance. They teach us to get rid of our egoism and put the common welfare --that of our family, friends, nation, Church etc before our own. The better we can do this, the better we practice the mercy …in the devotion.”

"While saying the Chaplet, it is necessary to be faithful to the text, which cannot be changed for any reason whatsoever"

~(Dr.)** Fr. Andrew Witko** (Professor at the Pontifical University of Bl. John Paul II in Krakow Poland) from “Saint Faustina and the Divine Mercy” 2003 Pg 125 (Divine Mercy Publications, Ireland)

(he is an expert who was asked personally by Bl. John Paul II - to write on the subject)

:confused: The Polish is “cały swiat.” “cały” could be translated “all,” “entire,” “whole.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.