Use the science, luke

So here’s my pro-life arguement, using exclusively science, but I’m not a speechwriter and it needs some refining.Here it goes: Your cells are considered a part of you, but these cells can give rise to another person. So, when does a cell quit being just someone’s cell, and start being a baby? Conception, of course! Why? Because prior to that, the cell had your DNA. Now, the cell has it’s own DNA, different from everyone else on the entire planet. The cell is now, scientifically, it’s own person.

Some people will say it’s not okay to abort once it’s in the second or third trimester, but all the baby does between conception and then is grow, it’s already living!(I even borrowed a few textbooks from a library, and the unborn baby is alive, by definition.)
Others will say until it’s born it’s okay to abort(planned parenthood, for instance), but again, what changes? What if it’s head is almost out, but not quite, can you abort it then? What if all that’s left are it’s feet? Once again, their position can be supported using neither science not scripture.

So, how’d I do? Any suggestions welcome!

interesting, but the only opinion that really counts is

Planned Parenthood v. Casey

if you want to frame an argument against abortion that will carry weight, start there and understand it.

What you said is true but, others will still argue against it. Very illogical, I know, but that’s how our laws work. In fact our justice system has acknowledged that those in the womb are human. After all, if a man murders a women and her unborn child he is eligible to receive two counts of murders.

Good work Timbo! This is the style of argumentation that many of us like to use (really, there is nothing new under the sun :wink: ), because it avoids reference to religion, which non-believers will scoff at.
Regrettably, not even cold, hard science would convince some. :mad:

Science speaks simply against abortion: Human life begins at conception. Therefore:

• Human life begins at conception
  • The fetus in the womb is a human person
  • A human person has the right to life
  • Abortion takes the life of the human person
  • Murder is the unlawful act of killing of another human person with malice afterthough (e.g., the intent to commit an unlawful act or cause harm without legal justification or excuse)
  • Hence, abortion is murder

you mean a style of argumentation you like to hear, because you’re preaching to the choir. good luck where it counts.

shrugs I like hearing about God’s word too, but perhaps the atheist next door wouldn’t. Logically, that proposed by Timbo should be the tack to use.

that’s a pointless analogy. you’re not going to win the fight over abortion unless you understand how the game is played. the OP doesn’t have to convince anyone here that abortion is evil.

I will not give a lethal drug to anyone if I am asked, nor will I advise such a plan; and similarly I will not give a woman a pessary to cause an abortion.

www.nlm.nih.gov/hmd/greek/greek_oath.html

This is one small part of the Hippocratic oath which is to have been written 4th century BCE. 400 years before Christ. And even then the followers of Pythogoras recognized with their ancient forms of science that life began before birth. And for generations afterward every doctor would recite at their graduation. Although they may not now. Do we know less now than the ancients did? Apparently, if we think that life does not begin at conception.

More reasons to pray for sure.

interesting, but the only opinion that really counts is

Planned Parenthood v. Casey

This wasn’t intended to be a legal challenge to any supreme court cases, it was just intended to convince people abortion is wrong.

the OP doesn’t have to convince anyone here that abortion is evil.

I wasn’t trying to convince anyone here, I was trying to refine my arguement, and maybe help others here convince people.

you mean a style of argumentation you like to hear, because you’re preaching to the choir. good luck where it counts.

Do you have any that do work well at convincing pro-abortion people? You do bring up a good point, when I use this one, they usually don’t even try to fight the logic, they start saying “right to choose” over and over, which is good if it’s taking place in front of an audience, but a failure if it’s just a 1-on-1 discussion.
But, this works well at defusing the “seperation of church and state” argument.(Which is a mis-interpretation of the constitution, as evidenced by several laws including Abraham Lincoln’s “day of prayer”)

My advice is to ignore Wirraway. Posting a link to something and saying “understand this first” is the oldest trick in the internet book. It’s great substitute for actually dealing with what you wrote. What you posted is perfectly sensible. A fine post.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.