Using things endorsed by rappers

Is it wrong to use things like “Dr. Dre” beats when the rappers might not have very moral music?!

Use them in what context? Are you a Christian artist?

No just to listen to music

In my opinion that kind of music tends to evoke a certain mentality which is not helpful for the spiritual life.

[quote="seanom, post:1, topic:317941"]
Is it wrong to use things like "Dr. Dre" beats when the rappers might not have very moral music?!

[/quote]

Well, use them morally.

The Church can baptise anything - even gansta rap!

I would suggest that you write down the lyrics of one of the songs you are interested in enjoying. Separate it from the beat and the sounds and truly take a look at what you are hearing being said. It would not be O.K. to entertain yourself with words that describe sexually explicit acts, heresy or violence against woman, as well as other sinful acts. Now this is an answer that does not reflect what is a secular view but rather what the Church would say about the behavior. We are not allowed to entertain ourselves with something that is sexually explicit just because it is sung or rapped.

[quote="Ad_Orientem, post:4, topic:317941"]
In my opinion that kind of music tends to evoke a certain mentality which is not helpful for the spiritual life.

[/quote]

In the proper context (certainly not in a liturgy) some Christian/Catholic rap music is amazing. Check out Father Stan Fortuna, or the Catholic Rap group Zealous and others.

It may not be your cuppa, but it certainly speaks to a generation. And many of the lyrics are very Catholic in nature.

I might be wrong, but I don’t think he is wanting to listen to immoral music. There are headphones made by rapper Dr. Dre that are called ‘beats’. He isn’t using a part of the music. I don’t know if it’s wrong to purchase them, if you find the maker to be immoral.

[quote="ccmcmg, post:8, topic:317941"]
I might be wrong, but I don't think he is wanting to listen to immoral music. There are headphones made by rapper Dr. Dre that are called 'beats'. He isn't using a part of the music. I don't know if it's wrong to purchase them, if you find the maker to be immoral.

[/quote]

Well, that would show you how oldI am, never heard of those, so thanks for letting me know:)

[quote="seanom, post:1, topic:317941"]
Is it wrong to use things like "Dr. Dre" beats when the rappers might not have very moral music?!

[/quote]

No, but I find it immoral to pay so much for overhyped mediocre product. ;)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.