Usus Antiquior

What is Usus Antiquior?

The Extraordinary Form Mass, also known as the Tridentine Mass, or the Traditional Latin Mass (which I personally find confusing as the new Mass can be said in Latin as well).

In short, the Mass of most of the Roman Rite between the Council of Trent and Vatican II, still valid an now called the Extraordinary Form.

It’s one of the names given to Mass as celebrated according (basically) to the Roman Missal that was in force in the year 1962, promulgated by Pope John XXIII, before the changes of the Second Vatican Council.

AKA:

traditional Latin Mass
extraordinary form: this is a descriptive, rather than formal prescriptive, term, and you don’t have to use it
Tridentine Mass
Ritus antiquior: I would personally argue against the use of this, but I think it is a fine colloquialism
Vetus ordo
etc

Usus antiquior means the “more ancient Use,” use being a term to describe a certain form of a liturgy that is not technically a separate Rite, but just another version, so to speak.

So we have things like the Anglican Use, which is the form of the Roman Rite that possesses certain parts from the Anglican liturgy. It is used by former Anglicans who converted to Catholicism in the late 20th century and up to today, as well as (presumably) by their children into the future. Just as an example.

True. Summorum Pontificum actually stated “sunt enim duo usus unici ritus romani” (for there are two uses of the one Roman rite). A Roman Rite priest is allowed to say either of the two forms.

:tiphat::tiphat: OraLabora and YoungTradCath, Thank you for explaining Usus antiquior. I previously knew that the Traditional Latin Mass was the Tridentine Mass but not the Usus antiquior.

I think I might have misled you here. The Usus Antiquior, like YTC said, is the older use, which is the 62 Missal, which is the Traditional Latin Mass, which is the Tridentine Mass, or the Mass of Trent.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.