Utahn feedback?

Any Utahn’s (Catholic, Mormon or otherwise) hearing any feedback on thsi SL Trib’s article?

sltrib.com/home/2229999-155/new-mormon-mission-how-to-teach?fullpage=1

I find it fair, accurate and balance in it’s approach to what is known about LDS history and theology. Just wondering how it’s being taken with those who live in the area.

I am a Catholic in a suburb of Salt Lake City. So far there has been little talk of the article. My neighbors are 90% Mormon and nearly all of my co-workers are LDS and have not said anything about it. The local TV media has largely ignored it. There are basically two forms of newsprint in SLC: The Tribune, who ran the story and has basically turned into a Liberal sounding board and, the Deseret News, owned and operated by the Mormon church. The Tribune usually prints anything that might be titillating with regards to religion, especially when it shines a less than favorable light. But if the story is related to ecumenism, eastern religions, Islam or Pope Francis comments taken out of context, the Trib gushes forth praise and enthusiasm. I think the Mormon church will put some spin on it relying on the “burning in the bosom” doctrine rather than faith and reason.

Thanks for the feedback.

I will never fully understand why the seeking of Spiritul Truth(s) is/are not important to many and seem satified with the status quo.

Pope St John Paul had written some great encyclicals. But the one I appreciate the most is Fides et Ratio.

It’s a reminder that we are beings with intellect, and we are to use that intellect in the pursuit of Truth.

Very quiet here Marie. None of my co-workers have spoken about it. But then again I don’t listen to the Mormon churches ramblings. I can actually care less about what they say or do.

Thanks, Kim.

I guess I always have a hope that some Mormons critical thinking skills will get jump started into starting, and that they will get into using their reasoning skills rather than their “feelings” being the source of determining Truth.

Oh well.

Yeah, the SL Trib is almost spammy in the number of stories it does on Mormonism. I read the daily Mormon headlines but rarely read the story. Just don’t care.

Well, I haven’t lived in Utah for 20 years, and didn’t read the article. But I did teach Elders Quorum a few weeks ago in my ward about social media and how to use it to spread the (LDS) gospel. I urged them to pick their social circles carefully. I urged them to know what they believe and why they believe it. And I urged them to develop a thick skin and practice the martial art of ‘water off a ducks back’ when people send grief their way.

We looked at lds.org, and we practiced doing a couple topic searches. We looked at lds.net, and we looked at the various discussions happening there. And we talked about Facebook a lot.

I cautioned them with a tale: Occasionally I hear about a Mormon who hasn’t really thought much about the LDS faith. Maybe they just go to church because their parents took them and the habit stuck. Maybe they do it because they married a mormon and it’s expected. Maybe they do it to help their kids have the blessings of an LDS upbringing. These folks, like any of us, will have a list of things they believe to be true. But some of them won’t really be based on much - just stuff they’ve always assumed to be true, but really aren’t. Like “anything a prophet says is automatically true and scripture”. These folks will then go online and encounter something that counters their belief, and their faith will take a hit.

So I cautioned them, before they go looking for a fight with a critic of their faith, they first make sure they know what the heck they believe and why.

Yet, ironically, all LDS members are encouraged to use social media to remove others from their faith to Mormonism.

I have? When?

My Facebook news feed inundates me with all things Mormon with a few Catholic things thrown in for good measure. (We’ll ignore the fact that NONE of the things I “like” on Facebook have anything to do with Mormonism. I just have a lot of LDS friends in social media. sigh)

While I have seen loads of LDS related things in social media, including the gear up to General Conference, I’ve seen nothing in relation to this article.

Marie,

Check out the number of comments…over 2,000.

The article certainly is getting people to post their views.

A pretend internet friend, I’ll have to warn my kids about the tactic.

Just so you know, nobody in my church has ever urged me to be a “pretend” anything. I have encountered urging, often and consistently, to be just the opposite.

And when teaching mormons to share what we have, I usually teach that unless such things are genuinely from the heart, with a genuine desire to do good and bless the lives of others, then we’re probably not doing God’s will, and not doing anything that will help anyone.

Warning them that there are people proselytizing online, and not just Mormons, is a good idea, IMO.

That you are teaching your members to proselytize people in social situations is in itself an indictment of pretending.

Having lived in a predominate LDS area of the US I have found that the LDS often befriend folks, on social media or in real life, in an effort to “teach” mormonism. I had a relatively small pool of real friends because I refused to be led/taught to the LDS.

Um Zaff? You sure about that?

MESSAGE OF POPE FRANCIS FOR THE 48TH WORLD COMMUNICATIONS DAY

Keeping the doors of our churches open also means keeping them open in the digital environment so that people, whatever their situation in life, can enter, and so that the Gospel can go out to reach everyone. We are called to show that the Church is the home of all. Are we capable of communicating the image of such a Church? Communication is a means of expressing the missionary vocation of the entire Church; today the social networks are one way to experience this call to discover the beauty of faith, the beauty of encountering Christ.

MESSAGE OF THE HOLY FATHER BENEDICT XVI FOR THE 43rd WORLD COMMUNICATIONS DAY
“New Technologies, New Relationships. Promoting a Culture of Respect, Dialogue and Friendship.”

I would like to conclude this message by addressing myself, in particular, to young Catholic believers: to encourage them to bring the witness of their faith to the digital world. Dear Brothers and Sisters, I ask you to introduce into the culture of this new environment of communications and information technology the values on which you have built your lives. In the early life of the Church, the great Apostles and their disciples brought the Good News of Jesus to the Greek and Roman world. Just as, at that time, a fruitful evangelization required that careful attention be given to understanding the culture and customs of those pagan peoples so that the truth of the gospel would touch their hearts and minds, so also today, the proclamation of Christ in the world of new technologies requires a profound knowledge of this world if the technologies are to serve our mission adequately. It falls, in particular, to young people, who have an almost spontaneous affinity for the new means of communication, to take on the responsibility for the evangelization of this “digital continent”. Be sure to announce the Gospel to your contemporaries with enthusiasm. You know their fears and their hopes, their aspirations and their disappointments: the greatest gift you can give to them is to share with them the “Good News” of a God who became man, who suffered, died and rose again to save all people. Human hearts are yearning for a world where love endures, where gifts are shared, where unity is built, where freedom finds meaning in truth, and where identity is found in respectful communion. Our faith can respond to these expectations: may you become its heralds! The Pope accompanies you with his prayers and his blessing.

I don’t detect even the slightest hint of indictment of pretending in these words here.

“Don’t proselytize; respect others’ beliefs. “We can inspire others through witness so that one grows together in communicating. But the worst thing of all is religious proselytism, which paralyses: ‘I am talking with you in order to persuade you,’ No. Each person dialogues, starting with his and her own identity. The church grows by attraction, not proselytizing,” the Pope said.”

That makes sense, I suppose. It seems to be a word that has additional weight and dimension that I haven’t really thought about before.

That said, now that I think about it, it seems to me that I addressed the notion:

And when teaching mormons to share what we have, I usually teach that unless such things are genuinely from the heart, with a genuine desire to do good and bless the lives of others, then we’re probably not doing God’s will, and not doing anything that will help anyone.

So I’m interested, folks. Is “proselytize” just a general no-no in Catholicism? Or are there times and places for it?

Whether they do it out of love doesn’t matter if the only intent is persuade to change, That is not respectful of the person or their beliefs, it is monologue not dialogue. I love you so much I want you to change, instead of I love you as you are and would like to learn more.:shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.