V - Anna visits the Vatican!

Anyone see tonight's episode?

Yes.

I was starting to think Father Jack isn’t a Catholic priest. But I do remember the first episode where the elder priest mentioned about their superiors in Rome. However, the parish does not look like a Roman Catholic parish, nor even an Eastern one. My guess would be either Anglican/Episcopalian or Lutheran. But today’s episode beyond of a doubt says he’s Catholic. Curiously though his services look more like Protestant sermons than Catholic homilies. Although you can say that they could have just skipped the other parts of the Mass as that doesn’t really contribute to the story.

Although I like the fact that they used the Catholic Church to define the soul, rather than some other denomination or even pagan. I like the fact that an undercover V posing as a priest exclaims, “the soul is a gift.”

I need to start watching V again. It’s neat how they have a Catholic priest as one of the leaders of the resistance movement. The writers of the script may be Protestants with Catholic sympathies, who don’t know much about the Mass, etc , but at least they’re trying! It’s nice to see a show for once that at least portrays the Church in a good light.

Anna visiting the Vatican is almost equivalent to the Devil himself visiting there. She’s the perfect villainess, who you just love to hate!

A couple of things about the episode made me think that they need a better script consultant on Catholicism. First, as I recall the word “pope” never came up, which seemed strange for a visit to the Vatican. Second, the script had “The College” (of cardinals) voting as to whether to discipline clergy who spoke out against the Visitors. Again, such a disciplinary matter wouldn’t - I think - be put to a “vote” by the College of Cardinals, and would presumably be a matter for the pope himself and the Congregation for the Clergy.

On another note, now that we’ve established that the Visitors had planted people in deep cover years ago, I’m still thinking Fr. Jack’s pastor is a Visitor too.

One pretty cool thing is that Morena Baccarin, who plays Anna, is Brazilian-American and speaks fluent Portuguese. She was born in Rio de Janeiro and moved to New York City at age 7. I never would have guessed that she wasn’t a native-born American.

Here’s her recent appearance (in her “V” hair and dress) on a Brazilian talk show, with English captions: youtube.com/watch?v=Fr83vZXgh5w .

I'm really liking this show. Did you see the look on Anna's face when they were showing her the art work- and were looking at a painting of Hell? She looked awful uneasy.

I loved this episode, but I don't like how the college gave in to Anna's threat...

[quote="ESMDHokie77, post:7, topic:227807"]
I loved this episode, but I don't like how the college gave in to Anna's threat...

[/quote]

Yeah not sure I liked that, either.

[quote="Vanny, post:8, topic:227807"]
Yeah not sure I liked that, either.

[/quote]

That may be why they have the cardinals instead of the Pope making the decision--they are mildly clueless about Catholicism but don't want to offend Catholics by having the Pope make a questionable decision, so they shove it off on the cardinals, whom no one (including Catholics) respects very much:p

I haven't watched it this season--I watched it last year because it came on after Lost, but this year I haven't been regularly watching TV at all. Now I kind of want to--but on the other hand I'm reading more books, and that's probably better. . . .

Edwin

Maybe Anna should have checked out this discussion before her little trip:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=533201

There was no action on the Vatican part of the story in last week’s episode, other than a passing mention of the Church’s ban on hostility toward the Visitors. So I guess Anna is done with the Vatican for now, having gotten what she wants (as she always does).

I hope that cardinal isn’t holding his breath waiting for all those Visitor converts she promised!

I saw the episode and thought it was very interesting. I like the positive way the series has portrayed Catholicism, for the most part. Though I hadn’t kept up with the show in the first season, this year I’ve been watching it regularly, as the storyline has picked up and taken on a more “religious” bent.

A possible reason they did not mention the Pope in this episode may have been to avoid being too controversial, I suppose.

anyone watch it tonight

I may be overreacting but I haven’t been to satisfied with the way the portrayed the church

while they did a good Job showing the Vatican and all and the soul thing is pretty good too

but the way they portrayed father jack in this is were I think they got off on the church the most I can’t remember all of what they got off but him not wearing the color 24/7 well when in public I didn’t like, I could see their reasons for it

but then him not wearing vestments kinda annoyed me and for some reason they did something during the finale of last season that anoyed me to no end and I considered not watching it this season becuase of what they did I may have to go back and find out what they did.

good show IMO I just need to ingore when they misrepresent the church.

I wonder if they're done with the soul story arc...
And that seals it... the fictional story has our fiction Father Jack stripped of his office... dang.
that is... until the truth comes out about the V's!

fortitude!

i doubt they go away from the soul story arc its the key part of the show and will be the big fight between anna and her mother along with anna’s daughter (name slipped my mind)

the stripping of his office was made me sad :’(

yeah hopefully but because it was a laicezing (spelling sry) it may not happen but hey this show hasn’t exactly had an accurate representation of the church.

Yes, that’s probably the reason. I think it’s generally a dilemma for writers to represent a well-known public figure in a script set in the present time.

I was a little surprised that the cardinal didn’t challege Anna’s assertion that Catholics’ faith is based on miracles. I suppose in one sense that’s correct, considering the Resurrection, but she clearly had a very shallow understanding of faith and thought people would follow whoever put on the best supernatural “show”.

But on the positive side, Anna does have some solid traditional values: she certainly favors large families, and believes in the importance of womens’ role as mothers!

[quote="TedDC, post:16, topic:227807"]
Yes, that's probably the reason. I think it's generally a dilemma for writers to represent a well-known public figure in a script set in the present time.

I was a little surprised that the cardinal didn't challege Anna's assertion that Catholics' faith is based on miracles. I suppose in one sense that's correct, considering the Resurrection, but she clearly had a very shallow understanding of faith and thought people would follow whoever put on the best supernatural "show".

But on the positive side, Anna does have some solid traditional values: she certainly favors large families, and believes in the importance of womens' role as mothers!

[/quote]

at the surface she looks like a good V and the Vs look like they can help humanity

but when you start to dig down you see they are evil and not something the church should be involved with.

I’m beginning to lose interest in the show. The writers seem to be paying little attention to the most interesting and complex issue raised by the premise; namely, how the world would react to the sudden arrival of a highly advanced extraterrestrial civilization.

After just a few episodes, the Visitors seem to have become merely part of the landscape, except for the Fifth Column people, who are clearly presented as a fringe group, significant only for the danger they pose. It’s a totally unrealistic reaction; if space aliens like the Visitors arrived on Earth, the world’s attention would be totally focused on them. They wouldn’t become just another item on the evening news.

Where’s the curiousity from scientists? The threat assessment by intelligence agencies? The response from politicians? The profound questions from philosophers, theologians and religious leaders? The womens’ magazine articles about Anna’s hair and clothes, or “Anna’s lessons for working women”?

I would say, as in most sci-fi tv shows, that action gets the ratings, not realistic reactions and comprehensive situations.

Yeah, I’m afraid you’re probably right. It’s too bad - the show’s turning into just another good-guys-versus-bad-guys thing, wasting most of the potential from the unique premise.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.