Vacation and missing mass

Hi everyone,
I'm going to be traveling to a place where there are no Catholic churches for a month. I read on these forums about getting a dispensation from my priest-- do I need to do that and how?
Also, any advice on how to keep my faith strong? --- a month is a very long time!
Thanks

Just call up your pastor and tell him you need a dispensation for travel and what you have told us-- no Catholic Church available. Actually, if it is impossible to get to Mass there is no obligation. But just run it by your pastor.

=snowflakeinlove;10512792]Hi everyone,
I’m going to be traveling to a place where there are no Catholic churches for a month. I read on these forums about getting a dispensation from my priest-- do I need to do that and how?
Also, any advice on how to keep my faith strong? — a month is a very long time!
Thanks

DISCUSS THIS WITH YOUR PRIEST:D

Pray the rosary daily.

Be save,

Is it possible to watch Mass on EWTN, or get the daily Mass readings at least where you are going?

Is there really a vacation destination that has no Catholic church within a reasonable travel distance? Sounds like a place sorely in need of evagelization by Catholic missionaries.

Bring your Bible, the CCC, and spiritual books to read. Bring your rosary. Pray every day.

If you have a smart phone or tablet there are free Rosary, Readings for the daily mass and all sorts of catholic apps. Plus the bible that would be easy for you to have with you on vacation!

I'd suggest to read the bible, pray, and pray the Liturgy of the Hours. If you can watch a mass.

Where are you at with no Catholic Church?

Thanks everyone :)

Do I just go up to my priest and tell him my situation after Mass? Or will I have to make an appointment? :/

Also, I have an Android smartphone, anyone have any app/ ebook suggestions? I currently have Laudate but I don't think I'll have wifi where I'm going or even Internet access so the Mass readings and Liturgy of the Hours section won't be so helpful.

Thank you again!

Re-work your plans around God.

Different venue (small sacrifice); shorter duation (small sacrifice); invite a priest to go with you and pay his way (bigger sacrifice). Fast a day a week while on vacation (small sacrifice).

[quote="Edward_H, post:9, topic:319474"]

Different venue (small sacrifice); shorter duation (small sacrifice); invite a priest to go with you and pay his way (bigger sacrifice). Fast a day a week while on vacation (small sacrifice).

[/quote]

Thank you for the suggestions.
I already got all my plane tickets and everything so I can't make any changes to the vacation itself- and it is my parents who are paying. Fasting I could do though:)

[quote="snowflakeinlove, post:8, topic:319474"]
Thanks everyone :)

Do I just go up to my priest and tell him my situation after Mass?

[/quote]

yes

[quote="snowflakeinlove, post:8, topic:319474"]

Or will I have to make an appointment?

[/quote]

Only if he indicates that you need to, like if he is too busy at that moment to talk to you.

[/quote]

The Church does NOT require that the OP cancel her vacation or go to a different venue.

[quote="1ke, post:12, topic:319474"]
The Church does NOT require that the OP cancel her vacation or go to a different venue.

[/quote]

No, and it sounds like there may be family issues involved. OTH, in general, Edward's advice is good. I would be very hesitant to plan a vacation somewhere that mass is not available.

[/quote]

While we should make every effort to attend Mass while on vacation or traveling, your approach would mean that Catholics would have to refrain from visiting many remote but fascinating areas of God's world (while traveling in much of China, for example.) The Church does not place this burden on us, and you shouldn't either.

[quote="dixieagle, post:14, topic:319474"]
While we should make every effort to attend Mass while on vacation or traveling, your approach would mean that Catholics would have to refrain from visiting many remote but fascinating areas of God's world (while traveling in much of China, for example.) The Church does not place this burden on us, and you shouldn't either.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.