Valid Baptism?

How do you tell if a baptism is valid? What are the conditions for a baptism to be valid?

valid matter - water
valid intent - to do what the Church does at baptism
valid form - Trinitarian Formula, “I baptize you in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit”

Invalid formulas:
a. I baptize you in the name of Jesus Christ
b. I baptize you in the name of the Creator, the Redeemer and the Sanctifier
c. Anything else that is not exactly, “I baptize you in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit”

For complete information on the Sacrament of Baptism you can read the Catechism of the Catholic Church. 1213-1284

You can find this reference on the following link. vatican.va/archive/catechism/p2s2c1a1.htm

Thanks!

Actually, your “c” is not exactly correct. In Eastern Orthodox and Eastern Catholic baptisms (which are most certainly valid), the formula is “The servant of God (name) is baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.”

It would also be valid in the case of other minor variations, like “I baptize you in the name of the Father, Son, Holy Spirit.”

Thanks for clearing it up. I think what is vital to the form is “baptize” and “in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit”.

Yes, but – and this usually comes up in the context of people asking about the words of absolution – words like “and of” are not necessary to the sacrament. Some priests kind of smoosh it together into “In the name of the Father,Son,HolySpirit,” that sort of thing, and the sacrament remains valid.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.