Valid Baptism?

My cousin, who is now in his 30’s has told me that he has never been baptized Catholic, or otherwise. His mother and his father (my uncle) separated weeks after his birth, and his mother was never Catholic, and thus never exposed him to religion. Again, according to him, because of his situation, he was never baptized. However, according to my mother (his aunt), he was baptized because she performed it for him. According to her, she said that she had babysat him a few weeks after his birth, and knowing that his mother and father were having issues-she feared that he would not be brought up Catholic and baptized. So, she poured water on his head, said the appropriate prayers and baptized him.

So, my question is, was he ever really baptized? Does my mother’s impromptu baptism count? I recall as a child asking my CCD teacher if it was okay in this type of situation, and he said that it was. Then again, I was only a kid, and perhaps he did not want to upset me with an inappropriate answer.

If she poured water on his head and said “I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit” while having the requisite intent to baptize, then he was validly baptized.

Yep! Thats it. Thanks.

if the circumstances you describe are true, it is necessary for the person who performed the baptism to state the facts - date, name of child, name of person who baptized, witnesses, circumstances - in a signed notarized statement, and then for the fact to be recorded in the sacramental register of the person’s parish. Consult your pastor on how to proceed documenting the baptism. If no such proof can be obtained - death of key parties etc. - a conditional baptism may be performed should this person wish to enter the Catholic Church.

[quote=puzzleannie]if the circumstances you describe are true, it is necessary for the person who performed the baptism to state the facts - date, name of child, name of person who baptized, witnesses, circumstances - in a signed notarized statement, and then for the fact to be recorded in the sacramental register of the person’s parish. Consult your pastor on how to proceed documenting the baptism. If no such proof can be obtained - death of key parties etc. - a conditional baptism may be performed should this person wish to enter the Catholic Church.
[/quote]

I do not know if my mother ever did do those things that you describe, however, I am pretty much sure that she did not. Unfortunately for my cousin, I seriously doubt that he has any interest in joining the CC, despite my own wishes…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.