Valid Confession? - Absolution Prayer

Hello everyone,

Last night I went to confession and when it was time for the prayer of absolution the priest, whose english was not the best, said the following:

“By the power given to me, I forgive you your sins, in the name of the father, son and the holy spirit”

I want to be sure that this still counts as a valid confession, I look up the prayer of absolution since it sounded a bit strange and found:

“God the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of your son, you have reconciled the world to yourself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins. Through the ministry of the church, may God grant you pardon and peace. And I absolve you of your sins, in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.”

So ultimately

1. Was it a valid confession and/or
  2. Is the priest required to say the full prayer of absolution or is there different ones?

Thanks!

[quote="TheBlindSpot, post:1, topic:319401"]
Hello everyone,

Last night I went to confession and when it was time for the prayer of absolution the priest, whose english was not the best, said the following:

"By the power given to me, I forgive you your sins, in the name of the father, son and the holy spirit"

I want to be sure that this still counts as a valid confession, I look up the prayer of absolution since it sounded a bit strange and found:

"God the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of your son, you have reconciled the world to yourself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins. Through the ministry of the church, may God grant you pardon and peace. And I absolve you of your sins, in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen."

So ultimately

1. Was it a valid confession and/or
  2. Is the priest required to say the full prayer of absolution or is there different ones?

Thanks!

[/quote]

I'm not sure if it was valid or not but if you are concerned go talk to another priest and tell him the last priest did the pray of absolution wrong. The priest will tell you what you should do. I think you will be ok though, its not your fault that he did the wrong absolution but you should still go talk to another priest.

"I absolve you from your sins" is generally considered the necessary part of the form of absolution (in the Latin Church) to be validly absolved. Though the Council of Trent (and St Thomas Aquinas) seem to suggest that "I absolve you" is all that is actually necessary for correct form:

"The holy synod doth furthermore teach, that the form of the sacrament of penance, wherein its force principally consists, is placed in those words of the minister, I absolve thee, &c: to which words indeed certain prayers are, according to the custom of holy Church, laudably joined, which nevertheless by no means regard the essence of that form, neither are they necessary for the administration of the sacrament itself." - The Council of Trent, Session XIV, Ch 3
Source: thecounciloftrent.com/ch14.htm

"Pastors should not neglect to explain the form of the Sacrament of Penance. A knowledge of it will excite the faithful to receive the grace of this Sacrament with the greatest possible devotion. Now the form is: I absolve thee, as may be inferred not only from the words, whatsoever you shall bind upon earth shall be bound also in heaven, but also from the teaching of Christ our Lord, handed down to us by the Apostles." Catechism of the Council of Trent, The Sacrament of Penance
Source: cin.org/users/james/ebooks/master/trent/tsacr-p.htm

Of course... The Greek/Arabic Byzantine Churches use this form of absolution:

"God it was who forgave David through Nathan the Prophet, when he confessed his sins, and Peter weeping bitterly for his denial, and the sinful woman in tears at his feet, and the Publican, and the Prodigal Son: May that same God forgive thee all things, through me a sinner, both in this present world, and in that which is to come, and set thee uncondemned before his dread Judgement Seat. And now, having no further care for the sins which thou hast declared, depart in peace."

I suggest that you find another priest. It might be valid but it is questionable and illicit.

Today I went to Confession before Mass, and when I was in the confessional, the priest gave me an absolution that basically thanked Jesus, and then the priest said "In the name of Jesus Christ I absolve you and forgive you." I'm not sure if he made the sign of the cross afterwards, I couldn't see him. Later, he conducted the Mass in the proper form for the most part (he said the Consecration properly, thankfully).

Because he said the "I absolve you" part, was the absolution valid? I received communion afterwards because I felt sure that it was, but I want to double check. If not, I'm going straight back to confession. Please let me know!

[quote="Cruxis117, post:4, topic:319401"]
Today I went to Confession before Mass, and when I was in the confessional, the priest gave me an absolution that basically thanked Jesus, and then the priest said "In the name of Jesus Christ I absolve you and forgive you." I'm not sure if he made the sign of the cross afterwards, I couldn't see him. Later, he conducted the Mass in the proper form for the most part (he said the Consecration properly, thankfully).

Because he said the "I absolve you" part, was the absolution valid? I received communion afterwards because I felt sure that it was, but I want to double check. If not, I'm going straight back to confession. Please let me know!

[/quote]

"I absolve you of your sins" is a valid absolution. St Thomas Aquinas and Trent seem to suggest that "I absolve you" is the minimum for a valid absolution. Since this is uncertain, I would confess somewhere else.

[quote="Zekariya, post:5, topic:319401"]
"I absolve you of your sins" is a valid absolution. St Thomas Aquinas and Trent seem to suggest that "I absolve you" is the minimum for a valid absolution. Since this is uncertain, I would confess somewhere else.

[/quote]

See, I usually confess in the Cathedral of my diocese, but I desired to receive communion so I went to a parish that I knew had confession before Mass. Usually the priest of that parish is great when it comes to using the proper formula, but he was away and another priest was there for the day. Thank you for responding, though! That sets my heart at ease.

[quote="Cruxis117, post:6, topic:319401"]
See, I usually confess in the Cathedral of my diocese, but I desired to receive communion so I went to a parish that I knew had confession before Mass. Usually the priest of that parish is great when it comes to using the proper formula, but he was away and another priest was there for the day. Thank you for responding, though! That sets my heart at ease.

[/quote]

No problem! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.