Valid confession? sexual sin?

One of my very good friends came to me today and asked me a question that really confused me…she explained to me how she and her best friend have always had a very close relationship and have always been very touchy feely but one night while they were cuddling it went past cuddling…as she explained to me the past year in her life with her struggles with purity and thinking that she was gay I was very flabbergasted and had no idea what to tell her but just listened…

then she told me that last night her and her best friend were cuddling again (I guess they do this often they just lay together talking with each other) and I guess they kiss each other on the cheeks and forehead and such but never have they kissed on the lips…any ways she said that last night they just kept kissing each other on the cheeks and forehead while they were cuddling…

she said she has been very troubled with this whole issue for over a year now and has talked to a priest about it and he said it was ok that they kissed each other on the forhead and cheeks and such but I guess she just couldn’t get over it this morning when she came to me…

anyways her question that got me was this…this morning she went to confession (right before she talked to me) and she said that she didn’t confess it as a sin because she doesn’t feel that the kisses are a sin but that she confessed putting herself in the near occasion of sin because she wanted to kiss her best friend on the lips (I really didn’t know what to say:confused:) but she also said that she found no pleasure in the kisses themselves except that they made her feel loved…I don’t know the whole situation exactly but this is how she explained it to me…but the problem was she didn’t know if she had sinned again by not confessing it as a sin because she didn’t know if it was a sin:confused:…

I guess I am just searching for what to tell her…I told her I didn’t know if it was a sin in itself but that she should refrain from doing this if she thinks it is a sin and especially if it will lead to other things, but was her confession valid???

as she was telling me all this I could tell she was very distressed and I wanted so much to help her…so if you all could please give me some guidance on this I would be most appreciative!!! sorry for such a long post but I felt I needed to explain it the best that I could…

God bless you all!!!

Her confession was valid if she confessed every grave sin of which she was aware after examining her conscience.

The kissing that you describe is not intrinsically evil (under the second font of morality), but is immoral (under the first and third fonts) due to intention (probably, based on your description) and circumstances. She did put herself in circumstances of near occasion of sin. Her acts were not sexual acts per se, but were sinful because they tend toward illicit sexual acts.

She may have sinned interiorly by consenting to desire. She would have to be the judge of whether or not her interior sin was venial or mortal.

the confession is valid unless you are aware of a mortal sin, and don’t confess it.

if you aren’t sure if its a mortal sin, and don’t confess it, you are ok…

thank you both for answering your replies really helped!!!:slight_smile: please pray for my friend as she continues to struggle…thank you and God bless:)

Sauce on OP.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.