Valid Confession vs. possible scrupulosity question

So I went to Confession this morning with a long list of sins (I've been told that I'm a little bit scrupulous and have trouble distinguishing between mortal and venial sin, and always want to confess everything I've possibly done). There was also a long line of people behind me and I felt pressured to hurry and not keep them waiting. I'm afraid that I combined two sins to make it sound like one. What I had planned to say was "I was mean to my sister AND got angry at her over something unimportant", what I actually said was "I was mean to my sister, got angry at her over something unimportant". I realized as I said it that might be interpreted as only one sin instead of two, so I quickly added "and I was rude to her other times", and then went on with the rest of my list. While driving home I realized I might have still said it wrong, and any peace I felt vanished. I also talked really fast the whole time and may have stumbled over a few other sins (tho probably none as serious as the one above). I do plan to return to Confession to clarify what I said, but that will take at least a week or two, and in the meantime, am I forgiven? Can I take Communion tomorrow? I would be very grateful if a person without scrupulosity could help me here. Thank you.

You were absolved of all. (Confession is integral.) Since it was unintentional error, you still receive the grace of the sacrament. It is alright to receive in this situation, and if you believe you have missed one serious sin, mention it next time, not for absolution (because you already received it), but for the required mention of all serious sins.

[quote="isidora99, post:1, topic:305427"]
Can I take Communion tomorrow? I would be very grateful if a person without scrupulosity could help me here. Thank you.

[/quote]

Yes. Here's the thing to remember: Jesus is listening. It actually isn't so important what the priest hears as it is what you intend by your confession and if you sincerely regret your actions. Anytime you intend to confess and sincerely repent, Jesus knows this and you, in fact, "confessed" to Him even before you talked to the priest.

You really don't have the power to mess up the Divine Mercy, you know. And you are never, ever, going to do anything perfectly. Jesus doesn't care about that. He cares about the intent of your heart and that you do the best you can.

In the Baltimore Catechism it says: Q. Is it necessary to confess every sin? A. It is necessary to confess every MORTAL sin which has not been confessed and forgiven; it is not necessary to confess our venial sins but it is better to do so.

It is better to confess our venial sins because it 1. makes us more aware of our sinfulness so that we can strive to overcome our weaknesses 2. we are given graces to help overcome those weaknesses 3. it makes us humble before God 4. in case a person has convinced himself that a sin is only venial when it is actually mortal.

Thinking about your story/question, it seems that you have a fear. What exactly I don’t know but it might be the fear of not being good enough. A lack of self-esteem. St. John’s Gospel expresses God’s love for us. Maybe try reading that. Also pray the Rosary asking Mary to help you understand her Son; she knows Him best.
“Our hearts are restless until they rest in you.” ~ St. Augustine
Keep seeking Christ!
I have said a prayer for you.
God Bless!

Please get professional help for your scrupulosity.

[quote="Julia_Mae, post:3, topic:305427"]

You really don't have the power to mess up the Divine Mercy, you know. And you are never, ever, going to do anything perfectly.

[/quote]

:D Good reminder.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.