Valid Confession?

The last time I went to confession, and started to confess my sins, the priest cut me off and said that I was making general accusations and that I needed to give him specifics. So I tried to give him the specifics, but while I was thinking of how I would confess the rest of my sins more specifically he began talking, and ended up giving me absolution before I confessed everything I had come to confess. I was very anxious about some of the more embarassing things that I had come to confess so I was pretty glad when he absolved me and I didn’t have to say them out loud. I have assumed that all of my sins were forgiven, and I received the Eucharist numerous times since. Am I right in my assumption? Are all my sins forgiven, even though I did not confess them out loud? thank you for your help.

[quote=Nick]The last time I went to confession, and started to confess my sins, the priest cut me off and said that I was making general accusations and that I needed to give him specifics. So I tried to give him the specifics, but while I was thinking of how I would confess the rest of my sins more specifically he began talking, and ended up giving me absolution before I confessed everything I had come to confess. I was very anxious about some of the more embarassing things that I had come to confess so I was pretty glad when he absolved me and I didn’t have to say them out loud. I have assumed that all of my sins were forgiven, and I received the Eucharist numerous times since. Am I right in my assumption? Are all my sins forgiven, even though I did not confess them out loud? thank you for your help.
[/quote]

Yes, Now as Christ said in the Gospel, “Go and sin no more”.

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]Yes, Now as Christ said in the Gospel, “Go and sin no more”.
[/quote]

I would tend to say that those sins you were conscious of not telling the priest, and that you explicitly mentioned your were relieved that you didn’t have to say, because you were very concerned about trying to confess those things, were not absolved along with those that you did confess.

If you had truly forgotten about those sins you wished to confess, then it would be a different story. But, since you mentioned relief when you were absolved, that you would not then need to confess those things to the priest, then it says to me that you held back in your confession, and in essence, lied during confession, because you held back on what you knew you needed to confess.

[quote=ABalch]I would tend to say that those sins you were conscious of not telling the priest, and that you explicitly mentioned your were relieved that you didn’t have to say, because you were very concerned about trying to confess those things, were not absolved along with those that you did confess.

If you had truly forgotten about those sins you wished to confess, then it would be a different story. But, since you mentioned relief when you were absolved, that you would not then need to confess those things to the priest, then it says to me that you held back in your confession, and in essence, lied during confession, because you held back on what you knew you needed to confess.
[/quote]

I disagree. Your sins are forgiven, since you had the right intention and felt contrition. However, I would mention this in your next confession, since it is still bothering you.

[quote=paramedicgirl]I disagree. Your sins are forgiven, since you had the right intention and felt contrition. However, I would mention this in your next confession, since it is still bothering you.
[/quote]

Indeed, even if absolved under the “blanket” of mercy, one is required to confess all mortal sins when they are remembered.

If you had any unconfessed mortal sins then simply bring them up the next time you go to confession. If they were just venial sins then don’t worry.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.