Valid confession?

Is it a valid confession if the priest does not put his hands up while saying the absolution prayer?

At my church there is a curtain between us so he could be naked I wouldn’t know, let alone where his hands are.

Haha, gotta love it:D

Anyways, it’s like Nelka described at our church aswell.

=johnnyt3000;11869430]Is it a valid confession if the priest does not put his hands up while saying the absolution prayer?

The WORDS are of primary importance. So long as the Priest and YOU understand that forgiveness HAS been grated; its a Done Deal as soon as you complete the Pennance.:slight_smile:

If the priest says “I absolve you” in any language, it is done. He doesn’t have to raise his hands or do anything else.

Languages. That’s a funny thing to think about. There are so many languages in the world, there are probably some places where “I absolve you” doesn’t translate and he ends up saying something like “You are absolved by me” or “It is absolved” or “Absolution is with you” or other non-exact translations. Funny how we place so much importance on words and don’t seem to remember that they are different all over the place.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Moved to L & S

Hahaha!:stuck_out_tongue:

Absolution is absolution. If the priest has said the prayer and you made a sincere confession, you have been absolved from your sin. It seems you are a little scrupulous. It might be good to talk to someone about this.

No, it’s still valid if he doesn’t put his hands up.

Penance should be done for removal of temporal punishment (at least in part). It’s not necessary for absolution.

Yes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.