Valid Consecration At Mass?

Good Afternoon,
I had a question about the validity of the consecration at several Masses I have attended recently. The priest diverts from the missal several times in the Mass including the consecration. The words consecration were as follows: “Take this all of you and eat of it. This is my body which will be given up for you”. And over the wine, “Take this all of you and drink from it, this is the cup of my blood, the blood of the new and everlasting covenant, shed for you and for all so that sins my be forgiven. Do this in memory of me”.

Now I know this sounds like the previous translation of the missal, but he doesn’t even follow that exactly. My question is whether these words are altered enough to effect the validity of the consecration itself? I know it is an obvious abuse of the liturgy.

Thank you for your time and God bless Catholic Answers!

Pope St. Pius V’s De defectibus:

If the priest were to shorten or change the form of the consecration of the Body and the Blood, so that in the change of wording the words did not mean the same thing, he would not be achieving a valid Sacrament. If, on the other hand, he were to add or take away anything which did not change the meaning, the Sacrament would be valid, but he would be committing a grave sin.

Based on what you have provided, the priest does not appear to have changed the words to an extent that would cause the words to not mean the same thing. Therefore, while gravely illicit, it is valid.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.