Valid marriage between Catholic and non-baptized person?

Is my marriage valid?

I was not baptized (at the time of marriage) and married my Catholic my in a non-Communion Mass (maybe it wasn't even really a Mass then) in a Catholic Church. We filled out paperwork and did pre-cana like everybody else, but I am still thinking that our marriage was not valid because I was not baptized.

But maybe, now that I am baptized and a practicing Catholic it automatically turns valid and possibly automatically turns sacramental. I am very confused and I'm not sure if our local pastor is following the rules. I do not want to approach him until I am more informed, though. Could anybody please help?

It was not a mass. You contracted a valid natural marriage. I’m not sure if it’s now sacramental.

Your marriage was valid but not sacramental because one partner was not baptized. I believe that your marriage became sacramental once you were baptized.

You were in a valid but non-sacramental marriage from the moment you married in the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church will not knowingly perform non-valid marriages.

Once you were baptized, given that the consent that you exchanged on your wedding day still persisted, your already valid marriage became a sacramental marriage as well. And the first time you had marital relations after your baptism, your marriage became a consummated sacramental marriage, which is indissoluble.

[quote="Just_Lurking, post:4, topic:300063"]
You were in a valid but non-sacramental marriage from the moment you married in the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church will not knowingly perform non-valid marriages.

Once you were baptized, given that the consent that you exchanged on your wedding day still persisted, your already valid marriage became a sacramental marriage as well. And the first time you had marital relations after your baptism, your marriage became a consummated, sacramental marriage, which is indissoluble.

[/quote]

That's it in a nutshell. :)

[quote="yellow8yellowM, post:1, topic:300063"]
Is my marriage valid?

I was not baptized (at the time of marriage) and married my Catholic my in a non-Communion Mass (maybe it wasn't even really a Mass then) in a Catholic Church. We filled out paperwork and did pre-cana like everybody else, but I am still thinking that our marriage was not valid because I was not baptized.

But maybe, now that I am baptized and a practicing Catholic it automatically turns valid and possibly automatically turns sacramental. I am very confused and I'm not sure if our local pastor is following the rules. I do not want to approach him until I am more informed, though. Could anybody please help?

[/quote]

The priest would never perform an invalid marriage. Now that you are baptized, it is also a sacramental marriage. Congratulations!

[quote="Just_Lurking, post:4, topic:300063"]

Once you were baptized, given that the consent that you exchanged on your wedding day still persisted, your already valid marriage became a sacramental marriage as well. And the first time you had marital relations after your baptism, your marriage became a consummated sacramental marriage, which is indissoluble.

[/quote]

Bingo. :thumbsup: :)

and.....

Welcome Home!!!!! :extrahappy:

Thank you all for your help!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.