Valid Marriage or Not

Hi Friends, I need some clarification on an issue please. I am a convert that has been married for 20 years. Prior to this marriage I had been married before but that marriage was annuled by the Catholic Church prior to my conversion. The Preist said that my current marriage was recognised as valid and did not have to be convalidated. My Wife did not convert with me and did not want to participate in having our marriage blessed. Anyway upon moving to a new parish the Preist there informs me that my marriage is not valid since I was married the second time prior to the anullment of the first and therefore should not have been confirmed and now should not receive the Eucerist until this is resolved. I guess this means Im not even Catholic now...... Any advice is appreciated.

Peace

[quote="McUait, post:1, topic:226434"]
Hi Friends, I need some clarification on an issue please. I am a convert that has been married for 20 years. Prior to this marriage I had been married before but that marriage was annuled by the Catholic Church prior to my conversion. The Preist said that my current marriage was recognised as valid and did not have to be convalidated. My Wife did not convert with me and did not want to participate in having our marriage blessed. Anyway upon moving to a new parish the Preist there informs me that my marriage is not valid since I was married the second time prior to the anullment of the first and therefore should not have been confirmed and now should not receive the Eucerist until this is resolved. I guess this means Im not even Catholic now...... Any advice is appreciated.

Peace

[/quote]

You should call the diocese and talk to the judicial vicar or someone else in the tribunal office and ask this question. I believe your original priest was correct, not your current priest. Your second marriage became valid when your first marriage was declared null. Because neither you nor your current wife were Catholic you did not require convalidation for valid form. But I am not a canon lawyer.

And, yes, you are Catholic. Your profession of faith, confirmation, and reception of the eucharist were valid.

Thanks for your help.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.