Valid Mass??

If father has a cold and doesn’t consume the precious blood at Mass (we have Holy Communion under both species) is the Mass valid? :confused:

I’m certainly no authority, but the General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM) does not present the priest’s reception of the Precious Blood as an option. His not doing so, although it might not be licit, should not render the Mass invalid. This would probably be a good question for the “Ask the Apologist” forum. Hope that’s helpful.

At the Last Supper, Christ took the cup and drank from it. Then He said, “Do this in rememberance of me”. At the Mass, the priest is acting in persona Christi, the person of Christ. He therefore must do those things Christ commanded, and one of them is drinking from the cup. If the priest has a cold, there are a couple options. He could only distribute Communion under one species. He could also, I believe, consecrate a small amount of wine in his chalice, and more wine in another chalice for an EMHC or deacon to distribute, and then consume all the Precious Blood in his own.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.