Valid reason for missing mass-woman only please :)

I understand that illness is a valid reason to miss mass. I am a convert and not always sure of the rules and how they apply. So, if a woman could give me some advice on this I would appreciate it. I suffer some something called PMDD which is PMS times 100. I don’t get it every month but this month I have it. I am angry, frustrated, and crying. The problem is that there are times when, like now, I can’t keep my emotions to myself. My poor husband has learned to just lay low on months like this. Because of having so many other physical illnesses that I have, medicating this issue isn’t high on the list of priorities. During months like this one I literally stay in the house and away from people because I know my emotions are out of control for a few days (I don’t work and this is one of the reasons for my not working). I am feeling particularly emotional this weekend and I am wondering if this would be a valid reason to miss Mass? I went yesterday to First Friday services and cried the entire time. I just feel too overwhelmed today and am wondering if this counts as illness? I am not looking for an out for attending Mass. I am just wondering when your problems become too much and you shouldn’t impose them on the rest of the congregation? Thanks for reading this and your help!

I’m not a woman (sorry) but I’ll offer a suggestion that applies to both men and women.

A priest once told me a good rule of thumb to follow is this: If you are “sick enough” that you would call in sick and not go to work, then you are “sick enough” to be excused from attending mass.

Is your condition serious enough that it would prevent you from doing your job, and have to take a sick day? If you, then you probably have a sufficient excuse not to attend mass.

Hope it helps. :slight_smile:

[quote="Lost_Sheep, post:2, topic:329107"]
I'm not a woman (sorry) but I'll offer a suggestion that applies to both men and women.

A priest once told me a good rule of thumb to follow is this: If you are "sick enough" that you would call in sick and not go to work, then you are "sick enough" to be excused from attending mass.

Is your condition serious enough that it would prevent you from doing your job, and have to take a sick day? If you, then you probably have a sufficient excuse not to attend mass.

Hope it helps. :)

[/quote]

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I am a woman and I agree with Lost_Sheep.

I have medical problem that sometimes makes it hard for me to leave the house.

My rule of thumb is that if I wouldn't leave the house to go to work or out to lunch, then I don't leave the house to go to Mass.

My advice, stay home.

Thank you both so much. That advice helps me make the best judgement possible. I really appreciate your help! God Bless!!

watch mass on EWTN

Yeah id say you can probably stay home! Watch EWTN :). hope you feel better!

thank you from me, too; as a future member who never had her second inquiry "interview,"
I wondered this also because I wanted someone to know beforehand that there would be missed masses due to illnesses that many would not understand......
so this is good to know...
thanks

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all of the help. And, I am glad it helped others as well!

While this is always a lovely thing to do, it does not meet our Sunday obligation. Just had to make sure others understood that.

OP, I sure wish you could attend Mass, I think receiving the Eucharist would be helpful, but it sounds as though it would be very difficult.

I agree, but if a person is indeed sick enough to be excused from attending mass in person, watching mass on TV might be “the next best thing” and help to ease their conscience a bit.

Your own conscience is your guide to determine when you should miss mass. No one on here can tell you whether you should or shouldn’t stay home. You must make that determination yourself, and live with it. Above all be honest with yourself. If you are honest with yourself, there is no reason you should fret about it.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:9, topic:329107"]
While this is always a lovely thing to do, it does not meet our Sunday obligation. Just had to make sure others understood that.

OP, I sure wish you could attend Mass, I think receiving the Eucharist would be helpful, but it sounds as though it would be very difficult.

[/quote]

That's true but if the OP is too sick to attend Mass no obligation exists.

Yes, I know that, I was making it clear to others reading that watching Mass on TV doesn’t fulfill our Sunday obligation. :rolleyes:

The obligation is always there, but in the case of illness, it is dispensed.

:thumbsup:

[quote="Lost_Sheep, post:10, topic:329107"]
I agree, but if a person is indeed sick enough to be excused from attending mass in person, watching mass on TV might be "the next best thing" and help to ease their conscience a bit.

[/quote]

It provides a structured way for one to join one's prayers to the Church's prayers, and to hear the current Roman Rite readings, and to hear a good, or even great, homily based in those readings.

If one can't make it due to illness, infirmity, incarceration, or occupation, one is obligated to pray on Sunday as one can; the EWTN mass is better than no prayer, even tho it's not a substitute for attending a mass in person.

The obligation to pray on sunday is separate from and complimentary to the obligation to attend a Catholic liturgy. The dispensation from attending is not a dispensation from praying on Sunday, and EWTN's televised mass is a good set of prayers to say along.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.