Validity of protestant marriages

With PCUSA now allowing for the ordination of gay, lesbian, trans gender people, the next step will probably be allowing Marriage of gays in these churches. I just went through a convalidation because I was married civilly outside the church. One of the things that always caught my eye was that the Catholic Church recognized marriages outside the Church by protestants as valid. I believe that the Catholic Church should stop recognizing Marriages from Churches that are changing in this fashion or make all protestant marriages be convalidated. If they do not, they may be forced to recognize as valid these gay marriages when they occur. Please let me know your thoughts.

Nope…no worries there. The Church does not (God does not…nature does not…) recognize any “marriage” between two members of the same gender.

Such will never be the case…

No matter where or how it is attempted…

not accurate.
the Catholic Church recognizes as valid marriages between non-Catholics who are otherwise free to marry, and which do not contradict natural law. Therefore never at any time will same sex unions masquerading under the misnomer of “marriage” be recognized by the Catholic Church.

Excellent to know. I was hoping this may not be some backdoor way of sneaking this into our Church.

Two non-Catholics could even get married on a beach or in a courthouse and the Church would presume the marriage to be valid. Unless, of course there are impediments (e.g., one of the parties was previously married, both parties are male, etc.).

This is not possible.

Yeah it was bad wording on my part. My thoughts were if the Church holds other protestant marriages valid, there may be a question about gay marriages coming from the same protestant churches. I am glad to learn they have to meet certain obligations before it can even be considered valid.

=hudson;7863053]With PCUSA now allowing for the ordination of gay, lesbian, trans gender people, the next step will probably be allowing Marriage of gays in these churches. I just went through a convalidation because I was married civilly outside the church. One of the things that always caught my eye was that the Catholic Church recognized marriages outside the Church by protestants as valid. I believe that the Catholic Church should stop recognizing Marriages from Churches that are changing in this fashion or make all protestant marriages be convalidated. If they do not, they may be forced to recognize as valid these gay marriages when they occur. Please let me know your thoughts.

As a LIFE Long catholic I think it’s a wee bit more complicated thatn what you suggest.

There are to inter related issues:

1. MARRIAGE can ONLY be with one man and One Women to be a Valid Marriage oer God.

2. It is the Bride and Groom who actually Marry each other and the church is BUT a Witness.

3. The CC cannot [not willnot] witness a wedding that is NOT between One man and One Women.

Interestering thought just the same. THANKS!

Pat

:thumbsup:
I agree totally. As a recent convert, married outside of the Catholic Church, that is how it was explained to me.
The OP almost sounded like it was a political choice for the Church to recognize marriages in other denominations. The Church has no choice in accepting valid marriages. Marriage IS defined by God, the Church just follows His teaching.:slight_smile:

It was bad wording on my part. My mind was thinking about the Catholic Church getting caught by the media or whomever not following our own teachings on this matter. In that case they may try and trick the church into recognizing these type weddings. I am glad to see there are safeguards in place to prevent this.

Nothing to be concerned about here.

Marriage tribunal dockets aren’t going to be clogged up with those involved in homosexual marriages seeking annulments so they can marry in the Church.

I just don’t see it coming down like that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.