Vallejo schools mull transgender student law

m.timesheraldonline.com/mntimesherald/db_11399/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=Lru7pm63&detailindex=0&pn=0&ps=2

When will this madness end? So a young man/boy thinking he is a woman can go in the woman’s bathroom and vice versa. Do they require any medical note I wonder?

Mary.

The law doesn’t lay down any specific criteria for establishing the gender identity of a student. I suppose the idea was to allow each school district to establish their own policy. IANAL, but this seems to invite court challenges of all kinds.

Here is the law which was signed by the governor last August:
leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201320140AB1266

The relevant sub-section is:

(f) A pupil shall be permitted to participate in sex-segregated school programs and activities, including athletic teams and competitions, and use facilities consistent with his or her gender identity, irrespective of the gender listed on the pupil’s records.

Well they should absolutely require a medical note. If schools do this responsibly, they usually require a/multiple medical note(s) and bar people from changing the listed gender on their school records more than one time in their lifetime. Either policy alone prevents abuse, but combined they institute a foolproof guard against abuse.

Thanks for the info and link to the law.
Mary.

Indeed, and it would be quite reasonable to require them to be on HRT prior to joining a sports team.

I doubt they could require a doctor’s note without being sued. That might be unfair to the boy who only decided he was a girl at lunchtime and didn’t have a chance to get to a doctor yet. :rolleyes: A subset of transgender is now transfluid. These individuals wouldn’t be on HRT since they go back and forth male to female and back again.

That’s a strawman and reflects a severe lack of knowledge about transgender people.

Wow. What on earth is wrong with our society? I tell you what’s wrong. What’s wrong is that Satan has deceived much of our society into believing these lies which are straight from the pit of Hell!

I am so sick and tired of reading more news about this but I do generally read it because I have a Facebook page dedicated to fighting the homosexual and transgender agenda.

Believe me, I feel sorry for these kids who obviously have something wrong with them which makes them think they are the opposite gender from what they were born as. I wish that they would be able to go to therapy in order to be taught that they are the gender they were born as rather than being condoned and told that they are actually the gender they think they are rather than the one they were born as. I also don’t think they should be allowed to have hormone replacement therapy or “sex replacement surgery”.

A person is the sex they were born as, period. When God created them in their mother’s womb they were assigned a specific sex and nobody has any right to change that.

In a perfect world, XY = male, XX = female. But in this age, things go awry biologically.

Whatever the cause, transgendered people do not choose gender identity.

In a perfect world, everyone would be Christian (Catholic?) and abide by the teachings of the Church. But in this age, not everyone is Christian.

You can’t expect a French person to live by American laws and regulations while still living in France, and vice-versa. Why should I have to live by American laws? Why should I follow the tenets of Christianity/Catholicism?

Transgendered people are not any more sinful than the rest of us. They have (I presume) an unwanted neurological/physiological/psychological difference from most people.

I doubt most people can fully understand what it’s like to have a brain/body disconnect.

We should pray that they may receive grace to come to understanding of God’s existence and His plan for humanity. Without this understanding, we’re all just speaking different languages.

(I read somewhere that Padre Pio believed America would be converted (again). I’m not sure if this private revelation has been approved, but let’s hope for a brighter future when God and the prudence He gives us determine the fate of society.)

Too bad that therapy doesn’t work, I’m sure they wish it did given the 40%+ of them who make a suicide attempt by age twenty. Evidence these days is leaning towards it being caused by a brain insufficiently or excessively masculinized compared to the chromosomal sex.

Do tell, what is the God given gender of someone with CAIS? The real world is real messy.

Are there any CAF members who think that homosexual, bisexual, and transgender people should not be teachers or serve in the military at all? Keep Paragraph 2358 of the Catechism of the Catholic Church in mind.

I suppose that calling a surgically mutilated male a “female” is right up there with calling baby killing a “choice”.

Deceptive language is effective sometimes.

Transgenderism is not on line with abortion in the Church; that is a ridiculous comparison to make.

Abortion = doctrinally an inherent evil, grave matter, murder, automatic excommunication.

Transgenderism = [il]legitimacy is still up in the air until further scientific discovery, the surgery can be allowed in certain circumstances and is thus not an inherent evil (but must be approved by a bishop probably), current Church rules bar changes to baptismal certificates and bar post-surgical individuals from entering into new Sacraments of Vocations. No doctrine on the issue at all.

Maybe some day…

The Queen of England will declare herself King…!

Eh…?

Why not if that the way people want to mutilate their language.

I don’t know why you would say this. :confused: It’s also called gender-fluid. It was part of the LGBTTQ training at my son’s university.

Here’s one definition:

gender fluid
Gender Fluid is a gender identity best described as a dynamic mix of boy and girl. A person who is Gender Fluid may always feel like a mix of the two traditional genders, **but may feel more boy some days, and more girl other days. **
Being Gender Fluid has nothing to do with which set of genitalia one has, nor their sexual orientation.

Genderfluid is absurdly contrary to Catholic teaching, but it is not the same as transsexualism, which is what people usually mean when they use the term “transgender.”

There have actually been a couple Catholic women who were de jure kings.

See SMGS’s comment

I guess it’s a good thing that the course of treatment is laid out by doctors and therapists with actual competence and knowledge about the condition, then. Letting your opinion be formed by faith AND reason, as the Church mandates, might lead you to surprising conclusions, by the way; I highly recommend it.

That said, to comment on your last sentence: No kid is ever allowed transgender surgery. The minimum age is 18, internationally. Any surgeon who performs sex reassignment surgery on anyone below that age except under extraordinary circumstances (e.g. intersex kid who wrongly received sex reassignment surgery in early childhood and wants it corrected), would have their license taken away.

For hormone replacement therapy, everything from 15 to 18 years is considered the minimum age, depending on location. Some teenagers who present with persistent and severe gender dysphoria for years (preferably since early childhood), are, however, prescribed puberty inhibitors. This is to prevent unwanted masculinization/feminization (believe me, especially the former is an economical and psychological disaster), while at the same time not making irreversible changes before the person can make an informed choice. If they turn out to identify with their birth sex after all, puberty will commence upon discontinuation of the inhibitors. If their transgenderism persists, hormone replacement is started to trigger the correct puberty.

People seem to think this is an area of medicine where doctors push treatment in “confused” patients’ faces, and where no standard of treatment is followed. Nothing could be further from the truth; especially due to the drastic and permanent effects of (long-term) hormone replacement and sex reassignment surgery, doctors are extremely careful not to give patients anything they will regret. Generally, three to six months of therapy, and the absence of psychosis, severe depression or other conditions that would impair the patient’s ability to consent, is required to prescribe hormones. Any persisting mental illnesses like bipolar disorder, schizophrenia etc. must be under control/asymptomatic. To receive breast (reduction/enlargement) surgery, facial feminization surgery and other secondary characteristics surgeries, six months to a year on hormones is generally required. And for sex reassignment (genital) surgery, you need to have lived exclusively as your perceived gender, while taking hormones, for at minimum a year, preferably two or even more, without interruption. In most cases, the surgeon will also require two referral letters; one of which must be from a licensed psychiatrist or other doctor with a relevant specialization. The second could be from any therapist, social worker etc. with relevant competence. A medical professional will not allow this step to be taken without being absolutely sure it is therapeutically absolutely necessary. Which probably also explains the extremely high satisfaction rates.

The doctrine on the issue can be found in the book of Genesis, where it says ‘God made them male and female’. Robbing oneself of fecundity through self-mutilation and delusion cannot possibly anything less than an inherent evil.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.