Vancouver: Riots after Canucks' Stanley Cup defeat

I like a post I read from this article which says,“It’s not about whether you win or lose a game,it’s about how far you can throw a molotov cocktail”.

You Americans have had your fair share of sports riots so don’t get too smug.I believe YOU are from mostly British stock as well or did you have your Revolution against Utter Pradesh.:rolleyes:

:mad: No! :mad: I am not a limey. I am a frog, through and through. :stuck_out_tongue:

Here in Detroit, we lost game 7 of the 2009 Stanley Cup finals to Pittsburgh. No riots, no cars burning; maybe a few tears in our beer mugs, but certainly no tear gas.

It’s an interesting world when Detroit is in a position to lecture Vancouver on what civilized behavior is.

THERES the problem!, Southeast Asians are well known for their hockey hooligansim. :stuck_out_tongue:

No they are descendants of United Empire Loyalists or Pennsylvanians who came for the rich farmland.The draft dodgers went home when you had your amnesty.The ones that didn’t are in their sixties and seventies.

During the Vietnam era, more than 30,000 Canadians served in the US armed forces; 110 Canadians died in Vietnam and seven are listed as missing in action. Fred Graffen, military historian with the Canadian War Museum, estimated in Vietnam Magazine (Perspectives) that approximately 12,000 of these personnel actually served in Vietnam. Most of these were natives of Canada who lived in the United States. The military of Canada did not officially participate in the war effort, as it was appointed to the UN truce commissions and thus had to remain officially neutral in the conflict.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_veteran

Canadians themselves formed the largest foreign contingent in the U.S. military during the Vietnam era. Some estimate that their numbers far suppressed the more than 30,000 Americans draft dodgers who fled to Canada to avoid military service during the war. While exact numbers are impossible to obtain, from my work as a military historian with the Canadian War Museum, I estimate that of the many thousands who served in the U.S. Vietnam-era military, some 12,000Thousands of Canadians, including a
Medal of Honor winner,
served with the U.S. military in Vietnam.

vwam.com/vets/allies/canadians.html

Peter C.Lemon, born in Toronto, won the Medal of Honor in Vietnam.

theaerodrome.com/forum/2001/10813-canadian-medal-honor-winners.html

Go BRUINS!!!

Aww, poor Vancouver. :frowning: :wink:

Do other cities have crowds of 100,000 gathering on the street to watch the games on Big screen TV’s?

I was trying to make a joke, but evidently didn’t do too well at it.

Knowing, as i did that L&L is British, and knowing as we all do (and as she surely does) that British soccer fans are, well, excessively exhuberant at times, and presuming (as I apparently did in error, at least as regards Vancouver) that because Canada was part of the Empire and the queen is still its titular head, they must be of largely British descent, I thought I would tweak L&L just a bit in fun.

Whew! Glad that’s done!

Actually, the largest single ethnic-descent group in the U.S. is German. So, we ought to be fairly used to the notion of losing contests. Regardless, among Catholics, that would be mostly Rhinelanders and Bavarians, a fairly pacific lot, as Germans go.

Now American Irish and Scots-Irish on the other hand…:smiley:

Hate to follow myself (twice), but I will. Canadians just elected a conservative parliament, and a prolife prime minister, and we have…

Think about it. Nothing to crow about on this side of the border, sorry to say.

:smiley:

When Betty dies-we’ll become a Republic.Most Canadians have nothing to do with the U.K.Other than we have a fetish for the letter “U”-colour,labour,etc.Oh and call jelly jam.“Eh” is all our own as is deke,loonie,twonie,hoser which is short for hosebag which is a derivative of …well,you,know;double-double,tuque,washroom,two-four,chinook,Timmies,knapsack,bunny hug,chesterfield,monkey trails,eavestroughs,fishflies,hydro,homo milk,Kraft dinner,Kokanee,joe job,pop,runners,serviette,brudal.905er,BC bud,puck bunny,buckle bunny,Cowtown,Hogtown,****** Tire,dec,forty pounder,gotchies,goal suck,hawk,jam-buster,the Peg,Micky,pogie,.Grocery Police,rink rat,Screech,scivey,Scarberia,Deadmonton,Manisnowba.Across the river(the USA),Spinnin’ an Freakin,T-bar,T.O.,T dot,Toon town and about a zillion more.

Just for the record, English football hooliganism is but a shadow of its former inglorious self.

You forgot about those who came after the loss of those southern Colonies. :wink:

I’ve heard that there seems to have been a group that was prepared to start this riot. Apparently, the first car was brought for the sole purpose of burning, and the people happened to have jerry cans ready as an accelerant. Some have pointed to anarchists (probably the same people from the G20 last year in Toronto).

Can’t we all get along?

When it comes to soccer, it’s more or less obvious.

:smiley:

Are you sorry for Vancouver, Brothers sisters?

Ah, Brothers sisters! I too had been there that in downtown in a theatre school ceremony . I was left and went home safe.Though I left early, still I saw many many peoples on street, but when I back home I can heard the noise.

I knew, our Vancouver is a beautiful place, and many very kind people.

It is before last night every game, people gathered in restrant and street all very happy and peaceful,

though last night I feared; and a dazed feeling when I watch TV,

I know that windows in store been repaired this morning and some people signed on window for apologize. Everything is normal this morning.

Our country Canada and our Vancouver is a blessed place,

That last night in school ceremony when we stand and sing the song: O Canada.

tears in my eyes , for Canada and Vanvouver is my home!

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

youtube.com/watch?v=zwDvF0NtgdU

This side of the pond, we play football, not soccer. :smiley:

Good! Football is a much better sport than that silly little kickball game that everyone in the world is so enamoured with.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.