Vandalized Mosques, Threats of Violence—Anti-Muslim Hate Crimes on the Rise

One day after the deadly terror attacks in Paris, a woman in Michigan went on Twitter and threatened to “send a message to ISIS.” How? By violently targeting Dearborn, Michigan, a Detroit suburb where more than 40 percent of the population is of Arab ancestry. In response, the head of the FBI’s Detroit office announced an investigation into a string of recent threats in the city. (Sarah Beebee, the woman who sent the tweet, publicly apologized.)

Since the Paris attacks, there have been similar incidents across the United States, from vandalized mosques to threats of violence, rattling Muslim Americans.

Based on the latest FBI hate crime figures, these incidents are on the rise. The most recent FBI data, released last Monday, indicates that hate crimes based on race, ethnicity, religious beliefs, or sexual orientation have dropped across the board—with the exception of crimes against Muslim Americans. In 2014, even as the total number of hate crimes dipped nearly 8 percent from the year before, anti-Muslim hate crimes rose 14 percent.

motherjones.com/mojo/2015/11/anti-muslim-hate-crimes-rise

“While anti-Muslim incidents have risen, they trail behind incidents targeting Jewish Americans. Last year, 609 hate crime incidents were reported against Jews, the highest number of crimes based on religious beliefs—and four times the number of anti-Muslim crimes.”

It’s not a contest.

While there is no justification for such acts, I have never understood why the defacement of mosques is called a"hate crime," while when Catholic churches are broken-into and trashed and statues broken, it’s called “vandalism.”

Because hate crimes against Catholicism are not hate crimes. Welcome to political correctness. The narrative is controlled by people who are vehemently anti-Catholic.

You remember me talking, the other day, about people who hijack conservatism? Well …

:thumbsup:

I am commanded by God to treat my neighbors with respect and Muslims are my neighbor. We can only pray for both the vandals who vandalize the Mosque, as well as the Muslims whom are just trying to live a life dedicated to God.

Ill say this, I’m proud to be born into a Catholic family, raised a Catholic. I realize that there is hatred in this word, there is hatred toward our Church from non Christians and even some Christians. All of us, Atheist, Jew, Buddhist, Catholic, Protestant, Muslim, must work together in this world.

*“Therefore, the Church reproves, as foreign to the mind of Christ, any discrimination against people or any harassment of them on the basis of their race, color, condition in life or religion. Accordingly, following the footsteps of the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, the sacred Council earnestly begs the Christian faithful to ‘conduct themselves well among the Gentiles’ (1P 2:12) and if possible, as far as depends on them, to be at peace with all men (cf. Rm 12:18), and in that way to be true sons of the Father who is in heaven (cf. Mt 5:45).” *

usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/ecumenical-and-interreligious/interreligious/islam/vatican-council-and-papal-statements-on-islam.cfm

Its a sin to attack any innocent person. I pray for the Jews and Muslims who face discrimination. I also pray for the folks who harm or are offended by the religion of the Jews and or Muslims. We all must strive toward peace.

There have been cases where a Church has been defaced/harmed and the case has been subsequently called a hate crime.

Whether its called Vandalism or a hate crime, the Catholic Church is clear on its stance toward insulting the religion of a person,
“Therefore, the Church reproves, as foreign to the mind of Christ, any discrimination against people or any harassment of them on the basis of their race, color, condition in life or religion. Accordingly, following the footsteps of the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, the sacred Council earnestly begs the Christian faithful to ‘conduct themselves well among the Gentiles’ (1P 2:12) and if possible, as far as depends on them, to be at peace with all men (cf. Rm 12:18), and in that way to be true sons of the Father who is in heaven (cf. Mt 5:45).” *

usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/ecumenical-and-interreligious/interreligious/islam/vatican-council-and-papal-statements-on-islam.cfm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.