Varieties of incense

Hey everybody! I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on different types of incense, why they're different, what the different types are called, etc.

Thanks :) at my parish we don't use it except for Easter Vigil Mass, and I think it's important to learn more about it if God is taking me where I think He is:)

Frankincense and myrrh is the traditional blend. It is somewhat expensive, and smells very spicy and churchy. Sometimes stores sell candles with this scent and as soon as I smell them, I get images of Solemn Mass in my mind. I love it.

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:2, topic:313632"]
Frankincense and myrrh is the traditional blend. It is somewhat expensive, and smells very spicy and churchy. Sometimes stores sell candles with this scent and as soon as I smell them, I get images of Solemn Mass in my mind. I love it.

[/quote]

I think the incense used in Byzantine churches tends to be more flowery and less spicy than that used in Roman churches. Either way, the smell of good incense does bring to mind images of beautiful, old churches and reverent worship.

We burn some Rose smelling kind at home. It has a very "Churchy" aroma. It reminds me of the Church (I think its a type they use). Either way, as long as its incense granules, I LOVE the smell of it. I don't know why people don't like incense. Wake up and smell the incense!!

[ATTACH]16106[/ATTACH]

If you live near a Catholic Shop you can see different varieties there. They vary both is fragrance and smoke production. Basically the smaller the grain, the faster they burn and less smoke they produce. The inverse is true as well. I'm not an expert, but know that bit.

[quote="mymamamary, post:4, topic:313632"]
Wake up and smell the incense!!

[ATTACH]16106[/ATTACH]

[/quote]

Smell this incense!:p :thumbsup:

m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=H-Cn_ao8Lqo

If only we had this at my parish!

[quote="NickD, post:1, topic:313632"]
Hey everybody! I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on different types of incense, why they're different, what the different types are called, etc.

Thanks :) at my parish we don't use it except for Easter Vigil Mass, and I think it's important to learn more about it if God is taking me where I think He is:)

[/quote]

We use it every Sunday and Holy Day, usually a brand called Gloria F8. It costs about 25 USD a pound. You can get 4 oz samplers of Gloria Incense.

F8 - Our most popular blend! F8 consists of natural, imported resins, pea-sized for a slow burn and lasting aroma. A lovely rose-lavender scent that is light in character is the signature of this blend.

P Blend - This is a full bodied resin powder formulation that provides quick effect with excellent quality. A soft, light sandalwood aroma is the result.

PR3 - A generous blend of natural balsamic resins and imported natural aromatic oils combine to create a wonderful fresh undertone of evergreen.

Both Catholic and Orthodox suppliers sell it.

We also have some others in different scents such as Mt. Athos Incense.

[quote="NickD, post:6, topic:313632"]
Smell this incense!:p :thumbsup:

m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=H-Cn_ao8Lqo

If only we had this at my parish!

[/quote]

Some day I would really love to take the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela, and see them swing the Botafumiero at the pilgrim Mass. Unfortunately, my knees and ankles are too old for the walking pilgrimage, so I'd probably have to go on horseback.

Maybe you could propose it as a pilgrimage for your parish? The Camino Ingles is not too long or difficult.

Some years ago, my home parish had an Episcopalian organist whom, for some reason, they let purchase incense for the church. He was proudly showing me the cherry-scented incense that he had bought. I'm fairly certain that shortly after he left, another worker tossed it in the garbage. I don't really want to be smelling food at Mass!

My parish use Prinknash Incense

: In nomine Patris, + et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen.
Introibo ad altare Dei. R: Ad deum qui laetificat juventutem meam.

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:2, topic:313632"]

[/quote]

Not sure what makes this blend "the traditional blend." It would depend on whom one asks. Many varieties of incense are quite ancient, and no one blend has been standard anywhere. IME, most parishes do not use myrrh, even in a blend, because of its bitter smell.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.