Various Consecrations

Good afternoon,

I am presently a Catechumen at St. Catherine Laboure Shrine in Harrisburg, PA.  I have a confession to make.  About 5 or 6 months ago, I began to feel as though Blessed Mary was calling me to her Son and to the church.  I'll spare you the long, boring story of meeting my Catholic wife, etc.  Along with what I felt was the Blessed Mother calling me home, I began to read books upon books about her, hoping it would lead to some understanding as to why she was calling me.

So once I completed Mark Miravalle's "Meet Your Mother," I immediately went and ordered True Devotion to Mary by St. de Montfort.  Without realizing that one must have received the initiatory sacraments of the Church FIRST, I began the retreat.  It wasn't until halfway through that I realized you must have been baptized, confirmed and received Holy Communion.  So, I finished those beautiful weeks of prayer with the final Prayer of Consecration on 10/17/16.  As a side note: I will be redoing the whole retreat after I have received the Sacraments at Easter Vigil 2017.

Anyway, the whole point of my post is this question:  with all of these consecrations available to us, **can we consecrate ourselves to more than one spirituality**?  I.e. Jesus Through Mary, Sacred Heart of Jesus, Guardian Angel, etc.

Thank you,

RB, a Catechumen.

My opinion is we should not take upon ourselves too many devotions. It is best to live and fulfill a small amount well than to take upon ourselves a large quantity of devotions and practice them haphazardly.
It might be best to focus on converting first. Then after the initial conversion stage, find a spirituality which works best for you.

I don’t have much authority to give an opinion on multiple consecrations, but I just wanted to pop in to say welcome to the Church!

I’m also in the process of consecrating myself to Jesus through Mary, using the 33 Days to Morning Glory method. That will complete on December 8th, the feast of the Immaculate Conception.

Best of luck on your journey to full reunion with the Church.

Peace,

DK

Take it slow, asking Mary’s help constantly. I wouldn’t burden yourself with too many devotions. The devotion to Jesus through Mary is the solidest devotion besides devotion to the Eucharist. What is important is steadfastness. I knew an Eastern Orthodox man who said he used to pray for hours a day, but then went periods where he didn’t even pray the most fundamental prayers daily, like the Our Father. Praying the Hail Mary each day is very important, and hopefully the whole Rosary if possible. But not more than one can handle. Slow and steady wins the race.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.