Various EF questions

The Holy Father allows the EF to be said in Masses without the people to be said with the exception of the Easter Triduum. Does this mean the EF is not to be said during this time at all?

Is the rubrics for Confession different in the Missal of 1962? Is there anything I should know?

Does the allowance of readings in the vernacular cause great controversy?

Thanks in advance.

During the Triduum, there can be only ONE Mass of the Last Supper in a parish, ONE Solemn Liturgy of Good Friday in a parish, and ONE Paschal Vigil in a parish. These must be celebrated publicly for the people. If the parish is devoted to the Ordinary Form, as most are, these MUST be in the OF.

In a PARISH dedicated to the Extraordinary Form, these services may then be publicly celebrated in the EF.

The Order of Confession is NOT in the Altar Missal and never was.

[quote="fish90, post:1, topic:180457"]

[/quote]

"Great" is a relative word, but I would say that most people attending the EF expect that the readings will be repeated, non-liturgically, in the vernacular, after the Latin liturgical proclamations, at least at a High Mass. OTOH, having the readings done ONLY in the vernacular would probably ruffle a few feathers, though perhaps not to the level of being a "great controversy."

[quote="Chatter163, post:3, topic:180457"]
"Great" is a relative word, but I would say that most people attending the EF expect that the readings will be repeated, non-liturgically, in the vernacular, after the Latin liturgical proclamations, at least at a High Mass. OTOH, having the readings done ONLY in the vernacular would probably ruffle a few feathers, though perhaps not to the level of being a "great controversy."

[/quote]

In our parish, the while the priest is giving the readings in Latin, one of the older altar boys will read them in English.

For the Gosple, the priest will read the English as part of the homily.

[/quote]

There's not even a hint of controversy about this in my parish. We simply stand twice for the Gospel, first when it is proclaimed in Latin and then again when it is proclaimed in English.

\In our parish, the while the priest is giving the readings in Latin, one of the older altar boys will read them in English.\

Since the Priest is supposed to read the Episle and Gospel (and other readings, when there are such) in vox alta, would not this cause confusion?

The Holy Father allows the EF to be said in Masses without the people to be said with the exception of the Easter Triduum. Does this mean the EF is not to be said during this time at all?

Is the rubrics for Confession different in the Missal of 1962? Is there anything I should know?

Thanks in advance.

[/quote]

As far as Confession goes, here's a link to the ritual.

sanctamissa.org/en/resources/books-1962/rituale-romanum/27-the-sacrament-of-penance-absolution.html

A few notes:

The ritual itself does not provide "rubrics" for the penitent, but these are in the "General Rules" on the previous page:

sanctamissa.org/en/resources/books-1962/rituale-romanum/26-the-sacrament-of-penance-general-rules.html

The penitent can begin by saying the Confiteor, or with something like "I confess to Almighty God, and to you, Father..." or any of the other typical formulas that we are used to hearing from the Ordinary Form, such as "Bless me, Father for I have sinned..."

So, in short, the ritual itself can be identical to the OF, from the penitent's point-of-view. The only difference would be the actual form of absolution.

Also, the priest is only required to say the actual "Form for Absolution" which begins "May our Lord Jesus Christ..." so a penitent might or might not hear the prayers before that.

Here is another question concerning the EF....

In the EF Masses on EWTN, I have noticed that some of the priests/deacons take off their chasubles/dalmatics when preaching the homily in the EF Masses. I think the FSSP clergy do while the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest and the Canons of St. John Cantius (and the MFVAs who were trained by the Canons of St. John) didn't.

I have heard that the homily wasn't considered part of the Mass and that some priests/deacons would remove their chasubles/dalmatics as an indication of that. Is that so? Did that practice very from cleric to cleric and from order to order?

[quote="PacoG, post:8, topic:180457"]
Here is another question concerning the EF....

In the EF Masses on EWTN, I have noticed that some of the priests/deacons take off their chasubles/dalmatics when preaching the homily in the EF Masses. I think the FSSP clergy do while the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest and the Canons of St. John Cantius (and the MFVAs who were trained by the Canons of St. John) didn't.

I have heard that the homily wasn't considered part of the Mass and that some priests/deacons would remove their chasubles/dalmatics as an indication of that. Is that so? Did that practice very from cleric to cleric and from order to order?

[/quote]

To the best of my knowledge, the homily is not considered part of the Mass in the EF. Although I have heard of it, I have not seen a priest remove his chauble. But I have seen some take off their maniple and leave it on the Missal before going to the pulpit to read the lessons in English and preach. That is what our current chaplain does. So, whatever the reason, it does seem to very the way you say.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.