Various Questions

Hello all,

Recently I have had some morality questions that I need some help with. They generally have to do with something being grave matter or not. Sorry if it’s too much, but I really need to know I guess.

1. Is it a further sin, to do a venial sin just because it’s venial? In other words, if I am about to do something, and the thought comes up that it may be mortal, but then I think, oh it’s just venial and do it anyway. Is this a sin? Grave sin?

2. Is breaking one of the Ten Commandments a sin just because it is the Ten Commandments? Grave sin?

3. Is disobeying your parents a mortal sin? (Not like in murdering someone but like in small things that are not by nature sinful)

4. Is it a mortal sin to not research if something is a mortal sin before doing it? Basically I read it was on these forums but now I struggle with deciding whether it even could be, leaving me feeling like I need to find out if something is mortal on the smallest things.

5. I was about to turn in a project early, when another student said I was missing a requirement. Should I finish this requirement? (An analogy of this is like if you innocently saw someone else’s answer to a test should you put it down?)

Thanks so much for your time!

Oh…good questions! :popcorn:

Presumption. Objectively a grave sin.

1. Is breaking one of the Ten Commandments a sin just because it is the Ten Commandments?

Of course. Do you really need to ask this?

Grave sin?

That depends on other factors. Stealing a nickel or dime is not grave sin.

1. Is disobeying your parents a mortal sin? (Not like in murdering someone but like in small things that are not by nature sinful)

If you are a child, it is sinful. Minor children are obligated to obey their parents. The gravity of the sin depends on other factors.

1. Is it a mortal sin to not research if something is a mortal sin before doing it? Basically I read it was on these forums but now I struggle with deciding whether it even could be, leaving me feeling like I need to find out if something is mortal on the smallest things.

We are obligated to discern the morality of our actions. Willful ignorance is sinful. The “smallest things” are, by definition, not mortally sinful.

1. I was about to turn in a project early, when another student said I was missing a requirement. Should I finish this requirement? (An analogy of this is like if you innocently saw someone else’s answer to a test should you put it down?)

If it is a requirement, of course you should. I gather that what you are really asking is the morality of accepting advice from others on the project. That would depend on the rules your instructor set down. You should, of course, not copy test answers.

Read the Catechism on sin.

Well with the Ten Commandments, I read on this forum that that was a sin in and of itself. Might have said mortal but I forgot.

So playing xbox when I’m supposed to be doing homework is not a mortal sin?

please seek guidance on properly forming your conscience from your pastor not from strangers on the internet.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.