Vasectomy and returning to Catholocism

I was baptized Catholic as a child, but “left” the church for many years. I grew up, went to college, got a job, got married, had kids, had a vasectomy, and returned to the church… Is this an issue since I made this decision when not being active with my faith?

thank you.

You were still Catholic technically even in your absence and through you decision to get “fixed”. It’s still sinful and you should try to get it reversed and go to confession for it. (I’m not Catholic yet but I’m pretty sure I’m right on my answer).

You should read Pope Paul VI’s Humanae Vitae encyclical letter…

vatican.va/holy_father/paul_vi/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-vi_enc_25071968_humanae-vitae_en.html

It speaks directly about sterilization…

**Unlawful Birth Control Methods

1. Therefore We base Our words on the first principles of a human and Christian doctrine of marriage when We are obliged once more to declare that the direct interruption of the generative process already begun and, above all, all direct abortion, even for therapeutic reasons, are to be absolutely excluded as lawful means of regulating the number of children. (14) **Equally to be condemned, as the magisterium of the Church has affirmed on many occasions, is direct sterilization, whether of the man or of the woman, whether permanent or temporary. (15)

Good luck.

Reversal isn’t necessary. Reconciliation is. :slight_smile: Regardless of your standing as a Catholic at the time of the sin, all you need is to recognize it was wrong, repent, and seek the sacrament of Reconciliation. Making an appointment with a priest for Confession is super easy. My understanding is that if you would like to invest in a reversal, you certainly may, but it’s not required.

Thanks for answering that I wondered about that part.

thank you for the response. I will definately take it up with my priest and take into consideration the reversal as well.

just so you know, I had stopped going to church when I was around 9 or 10. I didn’t get a vasectomy until I was close to 29 and far from practicing any religion at the time. I can’t say 100% for sure that I even knew at the time that I had the procedure done that it was wrong. I am now almost 39 understand that now however, and need to bring it up in confessional.

Cheers!

I agree with the other posters. In another thread like this, someone mentioned that there could be a problem if one spouse desired the other to have the op reversed, and that spouse refused. I hope I don’t sound judgmental, I just wanted to point that out.

Welcome back to the Catholic Church. :slight_smile:

Welcome back! The Father will be running to meet and embrace you. Meanwhile, read again about the parable of the Prodigal Son.

A friend of mine went through exactly what you are going through. His priest’s advice to him:

If you can afford a reversal, do it. If you can’t afford it, it’s not a requirement for forgiveness, but there are other things you can do in penance to atone for the sin. I assume that you are still married and still in your child-bearing years. Learn NFP and practice continence during your wife’s fertile times. Offer up this sacrifice you make in atonement for the sin of the vasectomy. Additionally, you will reap all the other benefits of NFP for married couples; better communication, increased awareness of your wife’s health, better spiritual health, etc…

For a sin to be mortal you have to freely choose it AND KNOW it was wrong. If you weren’t a practicing Catholic you probably didn’t know it was wrong.

Bring this up with your Priest and just go to confession. There is no need to get this reversed unless you want to have more children.

Joe

You just need to make a good confession. There is no obligation to reverse it.
My husband had a vasectomy several years ago. We were “catholic” but not very into our religion. A few years ago we had a renewal of faith. We confessed. Our Heavenly Father loves us so much. Never doubt that.
Two years ago my husband decided to have it reversed. If this is the path you choose to go down, research it fully. It cost money- a few thousand- and it was extremely painful for my husband. It’s microsurgery and it;s not as easy as when he had the vasectomy. That being said, if you choose to go down that path (again, it is NOT required that you do- it was a personal choice for my husband) know that two years later, it was worth the money and pain.
We didn’t choose to have it reversed for more children (we already had four). It was to gain back something we lost between us.
God Bless you and welcome back to the faith!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.