Vassula?

Has anyone heard of Vassula the visionary? Have you read her writings? So far, I think she is legit. She predicted the twin towers. Curious what you think?

Her visions are not approved by the Church. Catholics have been warned not to attend her meetings or join prayer groups established by her adherents.

The Greek Orthodox Church have disowned her, and the U S Catholic Bishops are not enthusiastic about her either .

ewtn.com/library/curia/cdfrydn1.htm

here is a thread from some time back about her as well

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=266325

I believe Vassula Ryden is a former tennis player and model who allegedly began receiving automatic writing messages from jesus while she was in Bangladesh.I think the story goes she was writing a grocery list or something,.

At the Congregation for the Doctrine of the faith website you can find a document dated 10/6/1995 which addresses their concerns regarding some of her writings.

I believe she did answer them in a letter but I have seen nothing which suggests they endorse her writings as anything but pious musings.

Thank you. I will proceed with caution but I must say, even if they are just “musings,” I like them very much.

Jesus is very loving in the writings, just as I have experienced Him to be.

You do not have to read Vassula’s writings to know Jesus is pure love.

I think one thing the Congregation for the doctrine of the faith was concerned about was her promoting of a millenarial reign which the Church condemns.
These alleged revelations predict an imminent
period when the Antichrist will prevail in the Church. In millenarian style, it is prophesied that God is going to make a final glorious intervention which will initiate on earth, even before Christ’s definitive coming, an era of peace and universal prosperity. Furthermore, the proximate arrival is foretold of a Church which would be a kind of pan-Christian community, contrary to Catholic doctrine. The fact that the aforementioned errors no longer appear in Ryden’s later writings is a sign that the alleged “heavenly messages” are merely the result of private meditations.

glory be Jesus Christ!

Since True Life In God, the messages from 1986 to 2003, was given a Nihil Obstat and an Imprimatur, i would not be concerned with reading them.

The 1995 Notification was the result of what was seen as potentially dangerous ambiguities contained in the writings. The clarifications given must have resolved to the CDF’s satisfaction as it merely asked that they be published with the writings for the benefit of Catholic readers. i can’t belive that the Congregation would have done so if they still had grave concerns about the writings.

For more information regarding the Church’s position go here.

As far as the GOC having ‘disowned her’, this is not surprising given that the writings contain explict direction from Jesus for them to accept the Pope and return the Church to Her original unity. The above link also contains endorsements from other Orthodox leaders.

And the assertion that ‘the U S Catholic Bishops are not enthusiastic about her either’ does not equate to a disapproval. If the Bishops had an issue, one would expect there to be something on the USCCB website, but there isn’t anything.

Along with Bishop Toppo, SJ, DD, “I truly belive that the books contain the Divine Dialogue of the Holy Trinity, Our Lady, and the Angels with humankind through Vassula Ryden.”

Thanks much, God bless, peace and love, terry

No, it did not. The most recent document from the CDF is from 2007 and it clearly states that the notification of 1995 is still in effect. True Life in God was approved only in the spirit of it being personal meditations, - NOT revelation or visionary.

ewtn.com/library/curia/cdfrydn4.htm

1.  The Notification of 1995 remains valid as a doctrinal judgment of the writings examined (see Enclosure I)

2)      Mrs Vassula Ryden, however, after dialogue with the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, has offered clarifications on some problematic points in her writings and on the nature of her messages which are presented not as divine revelations, but rather as her personal meditations (see Enclosure 2: Letter of 4 April 2002, published in True Life in God, vol. 10). From a normative point of view therefore, following the aforementioned clarifications, a case by case prudential judgment is required in view of the real possibility of the faithful being able to read the writings in the light of the said clarifications.
      3)      Finally, it remains inappropriate for Catholics to take part in prayer groups established by Mrs Ryden. Concerning the question of ecumenical meetings, the faithful are to follow the norms of the Ecumenical Directory, of the Code of Canon Law (canons: 215; 223, §2 and 383, §3) and of Diocesan Ordinaries.

The letter from Cardinal Levada in 2007 has certainly been a difficult letter to deal with for lovers of the True Life in God messages but the letter did not follow any additional dialogue with Vassula which had resulted in a positive conclusion.

Two pages with the details of Vassula’s dialogue with the Vatican are:
davidtlig.org.uk/notification.html and
cdf-tlig.org/

As far as I can discern from the vatican documents the messages are STILL considered just private meditatations and NOT automatic writing atributed to supernatural causes.They are her own personal writings according to the Congregation for the doctrine of the faith.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.