Vatican Athletics

Err, what the what?

3 Likes

Olympic champion Eric Liddell said he gave glory to God by running fast. Granted, he was a Presbyterian, but I think he’s likely a saint in Heaven based on his life. So why shouldn’t Catholics do the same?

0 Likes

If I was good enough, I think it’d be so cool to participate in the Vatican’s fencing team! :star_struck:

1 Like

I assume OP just means it’s a little odd for nuns to be trying to compete in the Olympics, not that there is anything wrong with a Catholic being an athlete.

Hey, good luck to them. Does the Vatican have an anthem that could be played?

0 Likes

Why yes, Vatican City has a national anthem.

I would hope the sister, if she goes to the Olympics, is permitted to wear a normal running costume, unless she feels she would run better in her habit of course.

0 Likes

I can’t see why not… The Vatican is a sovereign nation (Albeit with goofy population demographics, with all citizens being old men…)

ROLL SAINTS :vatican_city::vatican_city::vatican_city::vatican_city:

2 Likes

What would their mascot be? St. Peter? The Saints are already taken.

0 Likes

Their mascot would probably be a Pope to be honest

0 Likes

Vatican City has had a national football (soccer) team for a few decades, so this isn’t really something new.

There’s no rule that a given nickname or mascot can’t be adopted by multiple teams :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I’m personally fond of the team name “The Church Militant”, and can guarantee you it won’t be mixed up with another team. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

Now I have When the Saints Go Marching In stuck in my head.

1 Like

Ya know what the Church could do… Open teams up to all Catholics worldwide and just start kicking butt :grinning::grinning:

0 Likes

Perhaps they could have a team for winter sports events as well.

2 Likes

Haha, I didn’t realize this was a thing.

3 Likes

God Bless!
Maybe I can write a dissertation as far as, for example, power sports can help in the fight against sin, vices, and the transformation of the human person.
In any case, sport is wonderful!
:muscle::+1::blush:

0 Likes

That would be really cool! I know they already have a cricket team as well. This could be a unique opportunity for evangelization.

They may actually be competitive in some events. With the Swiss Guards being elite members of the Swiss Army, I’d imagine that they’re pretty fit. Either way, if Vatican City fields an Olympic team, I know who I’d be cheering for!

0 Likes

Vatican team and Archbishop of Canterbury’s 11 play multi-faith team at Lord’s in London .

0 Likes

2 Likes

My vote:

Mascot:

• St. Sebastian, the Patron Saint of Athletics.

Nickname:

• “The Saints” OR
  • “Flying Monks” for the men
  • “Flying Nuns” for the women

But I give a hard no to using “The Cardinals” as the nickname

:sunglasses:

0 Likes

closed #20

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.