Vatican City State receives elevated Standard Ethics Rating

From Radio Vaticana:The Standard Ethics independent rating agency has announced it has elevated the Standard Ethics Rating (SER) attributed to Vatican City State from “EE-” to “EE.”

The Standard Ethics Rating is a benchmarking tool on sustainability, social responsibility, governance and environment.

The sustainability ratings issued by Standard Ethics are the result of statistical and scientific work carried out to take a snapshot of the economic world in relation to ethical principles promoted by large international organisations.
The ratings are (good to bad) EEE; EEE-; EE+; EE; EE-; E+; E; E-

According to the Standard Ethics website:

When evaluating countries, Standard Ethics favors those Nations that are governed by regimes with proven democracy and meet the highest requirements in terms of human rights, environmental legislation and policies, relations with developing countries, sustainability of economic structures, substantial and formal level of democracy; and security policy.

For the purpose of comparison,

Vatican City: EE
United Kingdom: EEE-
Greece: EE
Italy: EE
Canada: EE
United States: EEE-
Belgium: EE-
Luxembourg: EE
Argentina: E
Sweden: EEE
Egypt: E-
China: E-
Switzerland: EE

So, since everybody knows that the USA is extremely wasteful and polluting and the primary contributor to global -]cooling/-] -]warming/-] -]climate change/-] climate instability, then I question the validity of the ratings (since the US got a higher rating than Canada or Belgium…which are both far superior to the US).

I am guessing that The Holy See ranks poorly in their eyes because it is not a democracy. Thank God it isn’t.

Maybe, but explain Switzerland…or Belgium…or Canada…

A secular institution rating the ethics of the Vatican… excuse me while I laugh at the irony for a minute.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Please allow me to join you.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I always take these ratings with a pinch of salt. How come Switzerland scored so low? Great Britain scored so high…really??? THe US did not deserve such high scores. We have millions without health care, millions of homeless people, unemployment is sky high, etc.

Couldn’t agree with you more!:thumbsup:

I find it odd that the United States got a second to the best rating considering we have legalized murder of unborn children, euthanasia of people in Oregon, attacks against our religious freedom by our government, “gay marriage”, and a few other gravely immoral things that are officially approved of and sanctioned by our government. It makes me wonder about this Standard Ethics Rating thing. Perhaps they think that legalized abortion, euthanasia of people (also known as a “mercy killing” or “assisted suicide”), and abortion are things that are deserving of a high ethics rating? If they approve of those things then that doesn’t make me think too highly of this Standard Ethics Rating thing.

Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter! Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes, and shrewd in their own sight! Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine, and valiant men in mixing strong drink, who acquit the guilty for a bribe, and deprive the innocent of his right! Therefore, as the tongue of fire devours the stubble, and as dry grass sinks down in the flame, so their root will be as rottenness, and their blossom go up like dust; for they have rejected the law of the LORD of hosts, and have despised the word of the Holy One of Israel. Therefore the anger of the LORD was kindled against his people, and he stretched out his hand against them and smote them, and the mountains quaked; and their corpses were as refuse in the midst of the streets. For all this his anger is not turned away and his hand is stretched out still.
(Isaiah 5:20-25 RSV-CE)

Are these the same intellects that gave Barack Obama the Noble Peace Prize when he had not done anything to merit such an honor? Where are we going with people like these calling the shots?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.