Vatican denies pope is open to recognition of gay civil unions

(Reuters) - The Vatican on Sunday denied Italian media reports that recent comments by Pope Francis signaled his openness to the legal recognition of same-sex unions in Italy.

reuters.com/article/2014/01/05/us-pope-homosexuals-idUSBREA040BX20140105

The Congregation for Damage Control is the new Curia.

It’s somewhat sad that the Vatican press office needs to keep stating the obvious.

If you look at the original interview, in speaking of some of the difficult situations in preaching the Gospel today, he makes a passing reference to a little girl whose mom has a girlfriend. The entire point is simply to illustrate that we have to figure out how to preach the Gospel in these complex family situations. How the media can extrapolate out of this some sort of impending approval of gay unions is utterly mystifying.

Pope Francis never indicated that he is open to recognition of gay civil unions. What words will they put into his mouth next?

Lord have mercy on Pope Francis.

It makes me laugh to see just how many people actually believe the Church will change her views on gay marriage, as if she even can. Mother Church, unlike other institutions created by man, will never succumb to the whims and evil ways of the world. how comforting to know we will always stand strong :slight_smile:

What a tasteless thing to say.

Clarification is not damage control.

“Damage control” is what you do after you’ve made a mistake, or done something egregiously wrong. Neither of which applies to the Holy Father. Those who speak in this way are the ones who’ll be doing “damage control” when their hour arrives. :mad:

What’s disturbing is not the notion that the Church would ever change its views on gay marriage, it’s the fact that a pope who does not communicate clearly can cause incalculable scandal to those who do not know better, without changing any official teachings.

Who are you to judge?

It is worrying that the Vatican even needs to clarify that the Bride of Christ opposes sodomy. The fact that it isn’t obvious in today’s world is something worth thinking about.

The Church opposes same sex marriage, this applies to women as well as men.

It is but it isn’t, know what I mean? :o

I disagree on that. The pope communicates very clearly. The media changes what the pope says or takes one sentence out of context and elaborates over it. This is nothing new and was done with Popes Benedict and John Paul (remember when the media came out saying that JP2 said that hell didn’t exist???.. Nothing to do with the pope is the secular media).

The problem is not whether, in this particular instance, he said something “controversial”. In fact, in this case, I don’t think he did, and I agree with those saying this is absolutely ridiculous reporting.

The problem is that this situation has been created where the world is actively looking for anything he says that could potentially be “controversial”, and they are allowed to run with it.

It’s frustrating because he could end all the craziness in one sentence: “Homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered and immoral, and the Church can never support such activity.”
But this wont be said because it would tarnish the “nice guy Francis” image which has been prioritized.

So while I appreciate and find comfort in the clarifications made by Fr. Lombardi, Archbp Muller, etc, they are only enough to quell the “scandal” amongst Catholics who pay close attention to Church news. They will not quell the “scandal” going on in the wider secular world.

Except civil unions are not calling themselves “marriage”. It is a system of legal benefit granting within the purview of the state that does not, I repeat, does not call itself “marriage”.

A Pope/bishop could support civil unions and still be in line with Catholic teaching.

Oh, very clever. :rolleyes:

I’m nobody. I can only stand on what the Church teaches. But there’s this inconvenient little verse in the Bible that those who attack the Pope and the Church might like to recall:

*But I say unto you, that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall render an account for it in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned. * (St. Matthew, ch. 12, v. 36-37)

There’s also:

He that heareth you heareth me: and he that despiseth you despiseth me: and he that despiseth me despiseth him that sent me (St. Luke, ch. 10, v. 16) - in this verse, “you” refers to Christ’s disciples.

You’re free to take your chances - like I said, I’m nobody. But it’s sad to see people on a Catholic forum passing hasty judgment on the Pope and the Church as if they were acolytes of Richard Dawkins.

What’s more disturbing is that some people raise a hue and cry about “incalculable scandal” when nothing of the sort is in evidence.

Similar things happened with Benedict XVI and condoms, Bl. John Paul II and the Quran, and Ven. Paul VI and allegations that he was gay. Those who chose to be scandalized (= those wanting a quick and dirty excuse to leave the Church and set themselves up as superior) were scandalized. The rest just remained loyal. It’s your choice.

Awesome news! :extrahappy: That and the following should leave no question about this Pope’s orthodoxy:

Pope Francis reaffirms that marriage is between one man and one woman
The first setting in which faith enlightens the human city is the family. I think first and foremost of the stable union of man and woman in marriage. This union is born of their love, as a sign and presence of God’s own love, and of the acknowledgment and acceptance of the goodness of sexual differentiation, whereby spouses can become one flesh (cf. Gen 2:24) and are enabled to give birth to a new life, a manifestation of the Creator’s goodness, wisdom and loving plan.

Pope shocked by same-sex adoptions legislation
The Pope is “shocked” by Malta’s Civil Unions Bill, which will allow gay couples to adopt children, Auxiliary Bishop Charles Scicluna has told The Sunday Times of Malta.

Pope Francis’ Evangelii Gaudium is strongly against the evils of abortion while promoting religious liberty
213. Among the vulnerable for whom the Church wishes to care with particular love and concern are unborn children, the most defenceless and innocent among us. Nowadays efforts are made to deny them their human dignity and to do with them whatever one pleases, taking their lives and passing laws preventing anyone from standing in the way of this. Frequently, as a way of ridiculing the Church’s effort to defend their lives, attempts are made to present her position as ideological, obscurantist and conservative. Yet this defence of unborn life is closely linked to the defence of each and every other human right. It involves the conviction that a human being is always sacred and inviolable, in any situation and at every stage of development.

1. The Synod Fathers spoke of the importance of respect for religious freedom, viewed as a fundamental human right. This includes “the freedom to choose the religion which one judges to be true and to manifest one’s beliefs in public”.

Pope warns against dangers of 'adolescent progressivism’
Calling attention to the 20th century novel “Lord of the World” which focuses on this spirit of worldliness which leads to apostasy, Pope Francis cautioned against the attitude of wanting “be like everyone else,” which he referred to as an “adolescent progressivism.”

Pope Francis reaffirms that ordination is for men only
And, with reference to the ordination of women, the Church has spoken and she said : “No.” John Paul II said it, but with a definitive formulation. That is closed, that door is closed, but I’d like to say something about this. I’ve said it, but I repeat it. Our Lady, Mary, was more important than the Apostles, than bishops, deacons and priests. In the Church, woman is more important than bishops and priests; how, it’s what we must seek to make more explicit, because theological explicitness about this is lacking.

Dissident Aussie priest excommunicated—by Pope Francis?
The order comes direct from the Vatican, not at the request of Melbourne Archbishop Denis Hart

Pope: There won’t be women cardinals
Interviewer: May I ask you if the Church will have women cardinals in the future?

Pope Francis: “I don’t know where this idea sprang from. Women in the Church must be valued not “clericalised”. Whoever thinks of women as cardinals suffers a bit from clericalism."

It’s official: Pope has not abolished sin, says Vatican
VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - The Vatican felt compelled on Tuesday to deny that Pope Francis had “abolished sin”, after a well-known Italian intellectual wrote that he had effectively done so through his words and gestures.

Pope: Guard against deceit of the devil
There are some priests who, when they read this Gospel passage, this and others, say: ‘But, Jesus healed a person with a mental illness’. They do not read this, no? It is true that at that time, they could confuse epilepsy with demonic possession; but it is also true that there was the devil! And we do not have the right to simplify the matter, as if to say: ‘All of these (people) were not possessed; they were mentally ill’. No! The presence of the devil is on the first page of the Bible, and the Bible ends as well with the presence of the devil, with the victory of God over the devil.

It also opposes Sodomy, which is to be intended as comprising both man-on-man sex as well as woman-on-woman sex

:thumbsup: And this is an authentic Catholic response. Bravo! :thumbsup:

Remember these are the same people who translate the words of the Constitution: “Freedom of Religion” to mean freedom from religion. They also don’t know what the meaning of IS is.

That is why clarity in speech is important and then it can be misinterpreted.:shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.