Vatican Documentary

Several years ago (1997 or 1998) I came home very late from work and watched a documentary on the Vatican and it’s lengthy construction and development. This program was an hour long (I think) and on History Channel, National Geographic, or The Learning Channel.

I know this information isn’t very much to go on, but I would LOVE to know the name of this program, what channel it was on, or ANY info I could get so I would watch it or even get it on DVD.

Before I watched this program, I never knew St. Peter was buried there, or that the apex of the dome lines up perfectly with the altar, and below that, the tomb of Peter. This show is 99% about the structure, but I’m in construction, and am fascinated but the craftsmanship and scale of the Vatican. Does anyone have any info about this?

I didn’t see the program you are referring to, but wonder if it might have been *500 Years of St. Peter’s *.

Here is a brief description:

April 18th, 1506 saw the beginning of the end for the 1200-year-old St. Peter’s Basilica on the Vatican Hill in Rome. For on this day, under the supervision of chief architect Donato Bramante, the foundation stone was laid for a new St. Peter’s Cathedral.

In a sequence of bitter power struggles, shattering defeats and glorious triumphs Bramante, Sangallo, Raphael, Michelangelo, Maderno and Bernini created this world-famous center of the Roman Catholic Church. The Reformation and the Counter-Reformation might well have taken quite a different course without this building. Like a huge precious shell the dome envelops the humble tomb, buried within its depths, is the Apostle Peter, appointed by Jesus to bear responsibility for the Christian faith.

You can watch a clip from the program here:
youtube.com/watch?v=o3P318TBzOo

If that is the show you are interested in, the DVD was released in 2009 and is available through many online outlets.

I think it was on National Geographic, and it was filmed during the pontificate of Blessed Pope John Paul II.

Hi this is not directed as a reply to the first thread,
I to had seen a Documentary,on the popes,
and need some help as to it’s authenticity please
No 1 = Pope Nicholas 1 declared " the appellation of God had been confirmed by Constantine on the pope ,who being God cannot be judged by man…
No 2 =Pope Pius V quoted in Barclay CHXXX11 p 218, The pope and God are the same so he has all the power in Heaven and Earth…
No 3 -= The Supreme Teacher in the Church is the Roman Pontiff Union of minds therefore requires complete submission and Obedience to the Church and to the Roman Pontiff, as to God Himself.
Lastly No 4 = Pope Pius X says the Pope is not only the representitive of Jesus Christ,but he is Jesus Christ Himself LEOX111 " We hold upon this earth the place of God Almighty . End------ Do these carry forward onto today?
Sorry to be a pain,I just need to know if these facts are true or made up,and are they to be taken as they are read or another way of putting it. please?..

Many Thanks for your help ,it will help me to understand more :slight_smile:

BibleisTruth, you should ask these questions in the Apologetics forum, here at CAF. It specializes in such matters.

Here is a link to the Apologetics forum:

forums.catholic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Thankyou kindly :slight_smile:

I think I’ll start looking into that. Hopefully I’ll find it! Thanks!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.