Vatican forgives John Lennon for Jesus quip

Sat Nov 22, 6:17 pm ET

Reuters – A pedestrian passes a large advertising display in west London for Beatles music compilation album ‘Love’, …

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) – The Vatican’s newspaper has finally forgiven John Lennon for declaring that the Beatles were more famous than Jesus Christ, calling the remark a “boast” by a young man grappling with sudden fame.

The comment by Lennon to a London newspaper in 1966 infuriated Christians, particularly in the United States, some of whom burned Beatles’ albums in huge pyres.
But time apparently heals all wounds.

“The remark by John Lennon, which triggered deep indignation mainly in the United States, after many years sounds only like a ‘boast’ by a young working-class Englishman faced with unexpected success, after growing up in the legend of Elvis and rock and roll,” Vatican daily Osservatore Romano said.

The article, marking the 40th anniversary of the Beatles’ “The White Album,” went on to praise the pop band.

“The fact remains that 38 years after breaking up, the songs of the Lennon-McCartney brand have shown an extraordinary resistance to the passage of time, becoming a source of inspiration for more than one generation of pop musicians,” it said.
Lennon was murdered in New York in 1980.
(Writing by Deepa Babington; editing by Keith Weir)

Paarsurrey says:

John Lennon should have repented and ask forgiveness from GodAllah when he was alive; clergy cannot forgive sins, they simply don’t have the powers to do so. It is a sin to grant forgivenss on God’s behalf, in my opinion.

I love Jesus and Mary as I do love Buddha and Krishna.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

As you can see, this is from the Vatican, not anything to do with a false prophet as Allah…
Jesus Christ is YOUR Messiah. Open your eyes.

If you read the statement again, no one was forgiven anything. It is a new look at a statement. Besides, you cannot be forgiven if you do not ask.

ANd it was the NEWSPAPER not the Church that issued it.

The Vatican newspaper forgave Lenon. That means that the newspaper no longer holds a grudge. This has nothing to do with the forgiveness of sin.

Ahmadi all our sins have been forgiven.
All that is necessary is that we accept this forgiveness that has been offered to us.
We dont know if John Lennon spoke to God on this. We do know that God does not want us to hold it against Mr Lennon.

Exactly

Not exactly, all our sins are not forgiven if we do not receive pennance and Absolution first.

That is part of accepting it. In order to accept what Jesus did, we must accept what Jesus commanded.

I was hoping someone would pick up on that :wink:

The more information you have, the better. This was an interview approximately one week after his comment.

The Apology

John Lennon: “If I had said television is more popular than Jesus, I might have got away with it, but I just happened to be talking to a friend and I used the words “Beatles” as a remote thing, not as what I think - as Beatles, as those other Beatles like other people see us. I just said “they” are having more influence on kids and things than anything else, including Jesus. But I said it in that way which is the wrong way.”

Reporter: “Some teenagers have repeated your statements - “I like the Beatles more than Jesus Christ.” What do you think about that?”

John Lennon: “Well, originally I pointed out that fact in reference to England. That we meant more to kids than Jesus did, or religion at that time. I wasn’t knocking it or putting it down. I was just saying it as a fact and it’s true more for England than here. I’m not saying that we’re better or greater, or comparing us with Jesus Christ as a person or God as a thing or whatever it is. I just said what I said and it was wrong. Or it was taken wrong. And now it’s all this.”

Reporter: “But are you prepared to apologize?”

John (thinking that he had just apologized, because he did): “I wasn’t saying whatever they’re saying I was saying. I’m sorry I said it really. I never meant it to be a lousy anti-religious thing. I apologize if that will make you happy. I still don’t know quite what I’ve done. I’ve tried to tell you what I did do but if you want me to apologize, if that will make you happy, then OK, I’m sorry.”

Does anyone have a transcript of the L’Osservatore Romano article in question?

I thought John Lennon was dead :shrug:

…That’s just what they want you to believe…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.