Vatican forgives John Lennon for Jesus remark

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) – The Vatican’s newspaper has finally forgiven John Lennon for declaring that the Beatles were more famous than Jesus Christ, calling the remark a “boast” by a young man grappling with sudden fame.

The comment by Lennon to a London newspaper in 1966 infuriated Christians, particularly in the United States, some of whom burned Beatles’ albums in huge pyres.

More HERE

I wish Yahoo! would be distinctive between the Vatican and the Vatican’s newspapers.

*Vatican forgives Lennon *

it should be

Vatican Newspapers forgive Lennon

The Vatican does not “forgive” Lennon for anything because there isn’t anything to forgive. All this is is a piece about the Vatican view toward what Lennon said 40 years ago. Of course, the MSM can’t really seem to report anything accurately. If you read the article there isn’t anything by a Vatican spokesman that says “Lennon is forgiven” or anything even close. It is **** like this that causes people (especially non Catholics) to think that the Church is stuck in a rut from centuries ago.

If anyone has a link to the entire article from L’Osservatore Romano, I would appreciate it…thanks!

Some people will not believe that the media would write such headlines if it wasn’t true.

…sad, huh?

It puzzles me that the media redefined an assessment by the Vatican as any sort of forgiveness. They viewed his remark as that of a young man caught up in quickly rising fame, that’s all.

Peace,
Ed

It is par for the course for most media to completely misunderstand and/or distort anything that comes from the Vatican.

I am having difficulty convincing non-Catholics that Reuters, et al, have mis-reported on the article, without the actual transcript.

That’s all the remark was. So it needed no forgiveness. It’s a sad state of affairs but at the time the statement was true. Since when has truth been a sin?

I have been looking everywhere for the full article…I can’t afford to subscribe to L’Osservatore Romano…you’d think eventually, it would be out there…

next they need to forgive the music industry for giving us “disco”

Nothing here to forgive. Everyone please move along.

hahaha I seriously had coffee come out of my nose from laughing when reading what you posted! hahah so very true

As I recall from Lennon’s statement about the incident, he was not saying the Beatles were GREATER than Jesus, but more popular.
Like he said, he was merely stating a fact, which very well could have been true at that time.
He might have made that a bit clearer when he originally stated it, however, and were I him, I would have also added that that is a sad thing.

If I were famous, and discovered people thought more highly about me than Jesus or God, I would have said something to the effect of
"Don’t do this! Please do not place me or anyone else above God!"

have you heard of Maria simma? Here’s a ***weird story… ***

there is an account of Hell at this website. i think it is called … (can’t think right now… [low blood sugar… need to go eat:hypno: ]) but anyway, this person @ the w-site claims to have gone to Hell and seen people there suffering. He said that he saw John Lennon there…

Maria Simma is a woman who is a very devout Catholic, lives in Croatia (i think… or over in that area). she prays the rosary all the time and is devout… She claims that the souls in Purgatroy come and visit her and ask that she do things to get them to Heaven sooner and she does. Well, she said that John Lennon is now out of Purgatory and in Heaven. She says that the souls in Purg told her that…

Kinda strange, huh???

Frankly, i believe a Catholic over a non=Catholic…

Or maybe the person saw john Lennon in waht s/he THOUHGHT was Hell… but was purgatory???

kinda like what happened in the election campaign… :rolleyes:

No… not disco…

Country!!! :rolleyes:

I would be very, very leary of anyone who said things like that…it does not sound very Catholic to me at all.

I didn’t notice anyone in the election who stated that they were more popular than Jesus. There is no similar incident.

there is an account of Hell at this website. i think it is called … (can’t think right now… [low blood sugar… need to go eat:hypno: ]) but anyway, this person @ the w-site claims to have gone to Hell and seen people there suffering. He said that he saw John Lennon there…

You thnik they had him chained up and were forcing him to listen to Barry Manilow for 24 hours a day?

No… probably Country music…

(Oh yeah… that’s going to be MY Purgatory :eek: :ouch:
[/quote]

WHAT doesn’t???

I was skeptical myself until i read the book by M Simma…

I am a very skeptical person and question everything… Even now i am beginning to question her book all over again… probably because i haven’t read it in a long time… but in any case, why should we trust the Protestants at that website (www.SpiritLessons.com) ???

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.