Vatican II and religious orders?

Many years ago I heard that Vatican II made a statement: “If a religious order does not do what its the work that the Holy Spirit gave it, it will die.” Is this accurate?

Thanks!

I have heard to versions, one, the statement is explicit. Two, the statement is implicit.

HELP!!!

THANKS!!!

I don’t know if Vatican II ever made such a statement (my guess is no).

It’s a pretty general statement that could apply to anything. Being apart from God, or trying to work apart from (or against God) does lead to death, because only God gives life.

There’s a similar concept that I’ve heard it before from Religious. In times of need, the Spirit raises up groups to perform a specific task. Sometimes the need for that group has disappeared and the Spirit lets that group gradually disappear (as in there will be no more vocations to that group) as other groups are raised up.
This is more of a recognition that the work they were raised up to do has ended, and instead of trying to morph it into something “relavent” they recognize that it is simply time for it to end.

[quote="Jim_Baur, post:1, topic:302683"]
Many years ago I heard that Vatican II made a statement: "If a religious order does not do what its the work that the Holy Spirit gave it, it will die." Is this accurate?

[/quote]

That seems a bit apocalyptic.

Here is a link to the Vatican II documeent Decree on the Adaptation and Renewal of Religious Life. also known as Perfectae Caritatis
vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_decree_19651028_perfectae-caritatis_en.html

I skimmed through it and didn't see anything similar, but you might want to give it read.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any further ideas or help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.