Vatican II The Faithful Revolution

My parish is introducing Vatican II “The Faithful Revolution” series which I have found very little information on. From a conservative catholic stand point are there any concerns? God Bless

There’s an old thread on this topic on CAF. Might get a little info there.
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=114253

(There’s the possibility changes have been made to the series since that thread was active.)

Can you tell me who the publisher or author(s) are?

Peace,
Ed

amazon.com/Vatican-II-Faithful-Revolution-Program/dp/0883479001/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389307210&sr=8-1&keywords=Vatican+II+%3FThe+Faithful+Revolution%3F

I wouldn’t say it’s great scholarship material, being very biased in favour of Vatican II but I suppose it’s worth a watch eitherway.

I’d see if you could find it posted online however OP, as you can see even second hand copies are expensive.

Ultraconservatives probably won’t like the portrayal of modern services, constant referal to liberal inclined experts and the like. A sedevacantist or SSXP might burst into flames watching it. Left wing at times, scathingly critical of Humane Vitae as well from what I remember.

I’ve never seen it, but here is a link to the publishers site:

rclbenziger.com/Pages/Item/57371/VaticanII.aspx

Looks like the handouts and study guides are not currently available. It also looks like it hasn’t been updated in 15 years outside of perhaps some introduction material.

Kosybear
The first thing to do is to shun the absurdities of “conservative”, “ultra-conservatives” “liberal” and Left-wing” as descriptions of “Catholics”. A Catholic is either faithful or a dissenter.

When “Breeze” in Oct 16, '06 (Angered by The Faithful Revolution: Vatican II video) can write:
“I had to leave when a commentator spoke of how the church and pope lost their “credibility” with the publication of Humanae Vitae, which the commentator claims “ignored” a committee’s recommendations on birth control,” the obvious conclusion is to completely reject such nonsense as rabid dissent.

Here is the realistic, faithful answer re Vatican II:
As Cardinal Ratzinger, Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI placed Vatican II in its rightful place:
"I am convinced that the damage that we have incurred in these twenty years is due, not to the ‘true’ Council, but to the unleashing within the Church of latent polemical and centrifugal forces; and outside the Church it is due to the confrontation with a cultural revolution in the West: the success of the upper middle class, the new ‘tertiary bourgeoisie’, with its liberal-radical ideology of individualistic, rationalistic and hedonistic stamp. The cardinal exhorts all Catholics who wish to remain such “to return to the authentic texts of the original Vatican II.” The Ratzinger Report, Vittorio Messori, Ignatius, 1985, p 28-31].

Cardinal Ratzinger expressed the required fidelity to Vatican II as: “to defend the true tradition of the Church today is to defend the Council…And this today of the Church is the documents of Vatican II, without reservations that amputate them and without arbitrariness that distorts them.” (The Ratzinger Report, Ignatius Press, 1985, p 31).

Fr William Most examined ten legitimate changes at Vatican II and found not one was a reverse of doctrine. All gave answers to previously debated points. Fr Most concludes: “It is obvious then that Vatican II did not create a revolution in theology. There are no reversals of teaching at all, and some…are only a little different or stronger than previous teachings, but all are in the same direction.” Catholic Apologetics Today: Answers To Modern Critics, Fr William G Most, TAN, 1986, p 200].

The *Dogmatic Constitution On The Church *#8 (Vatican II) teaches that “The one mediator, Christ, established and ever sustains here on earth His holy Church…(T)his is the sole Church of Christ which in the Creed we profess to be one, holy, catholic and apostolic.” Fr John Hardon, S.J., describes as “unequivocal” (= clearly defined), “for the first time in conciliar history — the Church is not one of many branches.” [See *The Catholic Catechism, 1975, Doubleday, p 213].

There can be no legitimate dissent from Humanae Vitae, and the absurdity of trying to make out that a “committee” can overrule the Magisterium is blatant.

Thank you for such a thoughtful and intelligent reply. God Bless

Thank you for your appreciative comments. I was secondary-schooled by great English Jesuits a very long time ago in what was British Guiana (Guyana) and attracted to the fidelity and greatness of Frank Sheed, and later Fr James Schall, S.J., and Fr John Hardon, S.J. and so many other great Catholics.

There is nothing like, formation, formation, formation.
God bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.